On the Number of alpha-Pivotal Players
We show that bounds like those of Al-Najjar and Smorodinsky (J. Econ. Theory, 2000) as well as of Gradwohl et al. (Math. Oper. Res., 2009) on the number of alpha-pivotal agents can be obtained by decomposition of variance. All these bounds have a similar asymptotic behaviour, up to constant factors. Our bound is weaker than that of Al-Najjar and Smorodinsky, but we require only pairwise independent—rather than independent—types. Our result strengthens the bound of Gradwohl et al.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Zürichbergstrasse 18, ZUE, CH-8092 Zürich|
Phone: +41 44 632 03 87
Fax: +41 44 632 13 62
Web page: http://www.cer.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Gersbach, 2009. "Democratic Mechanisms," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(6), pages 1436-1469, December.
- Gerardi, Dino & Yariv, Leeat, 2008.
"Information acquisition in committees,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 436-459, March.
- Dino Gerardi & Leeat Yariv, 2007. "Information Acquisition in Committees," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1411R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 2001. "A reputational model of authority," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 165-191, October.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I. & Smorodinsky, Rann, 2000. "Provision of a public good with bounded cost," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 297-301, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eth:wpswif:11-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.