Womenâ€™s Right To Land, Assets, And Other Productive Resources: Its Impact On Gender Relations And Increased Productivity
It is often assumed that poverty reduction would lead to gender equality. Research however, points to the opposite, namely, that increasing prosperity can have perverse gender effects . It is therefore important to make a conceptual distinction between projects that seek to reduce poverty and enhance productivity and those that seek to empower women, as the strategies adopted could be different. Effective poverty targeting can ensure that short-term, material benefits reach the poorest without necessarily leading to enhanced voice and equality, as revealed by the review of several projects in this paper.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matin, Imran & Hulme, David, 2003. "Programs for the Poorest: Learning from the IGVGD Program in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 647-665, March.
- Carol Barton, 2005. "Women Debate the MDGs," Development, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 101-106, March.
- David Mosse & Sanjeev Gupta & Mona Mehta & Vidya Shah & Julia fnms Rees & KRIBP Project Team, 2002. "Brokered livelihoods: Debt, Labour Migration and Development in Tribal Western India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 59-88.
- Elson, Diane, 1999. "Labor Markets as Gendered Institutions: Equality, Efficiency and Empowerment Issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 611-627, March.
- Zwarteveen, M. Z., 1998. "Identifying gender aspects of new irrigation management policies," IWMI Books, Reports H021512, International Water Management Institute.
- Buvinic, Mayra, 1986. "Projects for women in the third world: Explaining their misbehavior," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 653-664, May.
- World Bank, 2001. "World Development Report 2000/2001," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11856, March.
- Ashwini Deshpande, 2002. "Assets versus Autonomy? The Changing Face of the Gender-Caste Overlap in India," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 19-35.
- Nitya Rao, 2005. "Questioning Women's Solidarity: The Case of Land Rights, Santal Parganas, Jharkhand, India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 353-375.
- Margreet Zwarteveen, 1998. "Identifying gender aspects of new irrigation management policies," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 301-312, December.
- Agnes R. Quisumbing & John A. Maluccio, 2003. "Resources at Marriage and Intrahousehold Allocation: Evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and South Africa," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(3), pages 283-327, 07.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Vineetha Menon & Antonyto Paul & K.N. Nair, 2005. "Dynamics of irrigation institutions: Case study of village panchayat in Kerala," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 367, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Bhatia, B,, 1992. "Lush Fields and Parched Throats: The political economy of Growndwater in Gujarat," Research Paper 100, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Paolisso, Michael J, et al, 2002. "Does Cash Crop Adoption Detract from Child Care Provision? Evidence from Rural Nepal," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 313-37, January.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:767. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.