Transmission of International Commodity Prices to Domestic Prices in Bangladesh
In recent years, Bangladesh has experienced persistent price increases, especially of food items, in the domestic market in the backdrop of global increase in food prices. Such price developments in the international commodity markets have brought into forefront the effects of external price changes on domestic inflation, especially in the developing countries. This raises the issue of the existence and extent of import price pass-through to domestic prices. This paper analyzes the relationship between import and domestic prices in Bangladesh during 2000-2008. Using monthly data, the paper explores the relationship between domestic supply and passthrough elasticity and argues that commodities with higher share of domestic supply face a lower pass-through elasticity of import prices on domestic prices.[Bangladesh Bank WP NO 0807]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Hampton, 2001. "How much do import price shocks matter for consumer prices?," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2001/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2008. "A note on rising food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4682, The World Bank.
- Jacqueline Dwyer & Ricky Lam, 1994. "Explaining Import Price Inflation: A Recent History of Second Stage Pass-through," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9407, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Charles Engel & John Rogers, 1998. "Regional Patterns in the Law of One Price: The Roles of Geography versus Currencies," NBER Chapters, in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 153-188 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007.
"Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- J. McCarthy, 1999. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies," BIS Working Papers 79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2083. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.