Measuring Standard of Living in the UK - An Application of Sen's Functioning Approach Using Structural Equation Models
This paper contributes to the multidimensional welfare measurement literature inspired by Sen's functioning approach. After reviewing the different statistical techniques used in multidimensional welfare measurement, we suggest structural equation modelling as an appropriate alternative to measure and model the achievement of welfare. Functionings are conceptualised as latent variables which can only be measured with error. We assess what determines the achievement of these functionings, and compare the numerical functionings values with income in a simple poverty analysis.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kahlaische Strasse 10, D-07745 Jena|
Phone: +49-3641-68 65
Fax: +49-3641-68 69 90
Web page: http://www.econ.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.econ.mpg.de/english/research/ESI/discuss.php Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Tania Burchardt & Julian Le Grand, 2002. "Constraint and opportunity: identifying voluntary non-employment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4650, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Wiebke Kuklys & Ingrid Robeyns, 2004. "Sens's Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-03, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Tania Burchardt & Julian Le Grand, 2002. "Constraint and Opportunity: Identifying Voluntary Non-Employment," CASE Papers case55, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Tania Burchardt & Julian Le Grand, 2002. "Constraint and opportunity: identifying voluntary non-employment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2005.
"Valuing Freedoms: Sen's Capability Approach and Poverty Reduction,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199283316, December.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2002. "Valuing Freedoms: Sen's Capability Approach and Poverty Reduction," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245796, December.
- Raiser, M. & Di Tommaso, M.L. & Weeks, M., 2000. "The Measurement and Determination of Institutional Change: Evidence from Transition Economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0029, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ram, Rati, 1982. "Composite indices of physical quality of life, basic needs fulfilment, and income : A principal component representation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 227-247, October.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2002. "A note on the measurement of poverty and vulnerability in the South African context," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 757-772.
- Joseph G. Hirschberg & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Daniel J. Slottje, 2001.
"Clusters of attributes and well-being in the USA,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 445-460.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Nickelsburg, Gerald, 1988. "Multivariate Measures of Well-Being and an Analysis of Inequality in the Michigan Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 326-34, July.
- Erik SCHOKKAERT & Luc VAN OOTEGEM, 1990. "Sen's Concept of the Living Standard applied to the Belgian Unemployed," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1990039, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1989. "Continuously distributed attributes and measures of multivariate inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-144, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:discus:2004-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karin Richter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.