A note on the measurement of poverty and vulnerability in the South African context
It is sometimes argued that poverty is multi-dimensional and that the borderline between the poor and the non-poor is vague. In this paper fuzzy set theoretic poverty measures are used to examine vulnerability and 'definite poverty' in various dimensions of the quality of life. The focus of the paper is on inter-provincial rankings in these dimensions at the time of the 1996 Census in South Africa. While various methodological difficulties are noted, the analysis suggests that the distinction between human and financial poverty, and that between definite poverty and extreme vulnerability, are important for policy, in particular as regards the inter-provincial distribution of funds. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1994.
"Poverty and Vulnerability,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 221-25, May.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, 1997. "Poverty and its many dimensions: The role of income as an indicator," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 345-360.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Ingrid Woolard, 1999. "A comparison of poverty in South Africa's nine provinces," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 37-54.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Poor, Relatively Speaking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 153-69, July.
- Carter, Michael R. & May, Julian, 2001. "One Kind of Freedom: Poverty Dynamics in Post-apartheid South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 1987-2006, December.
- Alfred Ngwane & Venkata Yadavalli & Francois Steffens, 2001. "Poverty in South Africa - a statistical analysis," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 201-215.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2001. "Vague language and precise measurement: the case of poverty," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 41-58.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:14:y:2002:i:6:p:757-772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.