Multidimensional and Fuzzy Measures of Poverty and Inequality at National and Regional Level in Mozambique
This study provides a step-by-step account of how fuzzy measures of non-monetary deprivation and also monetary poverty may be constructed based on survey data such as those from the Mozambican Household Budget Survey 2008-09 (IOF08). For nonmonetary deprivation, six dimensions are identified using explanatory and confirmatory factor analyses, and a weighting system is applied for the aggregation of individual items into the dimension they represent. An application on Mozambique is conducted using the Household Budget Survey 2008-09 (IOF08) data: estimates are provided at national level and also disaggregated at provincial and urban/rural level. Standard errors are provided using a recent methodology based on Jack-knife Repeated Replication. Our results contrast with previous findings based solely on Head Count statistics and give a more complete mapping of poverty in Mozambique. Monetary and non-monetary deprivation seem to have very different distribution patterns, especially when analysed at sub-national level and by area of residence. Disaggregated Head Count statistics produce rankings of provinces and urban/rural areas that greatly differ from estimates based on non-monetary dimensions. In particular, the Northern and Central provinces suffer from non-monetary deprivation significantly more than the South, and the urban/rural deprivation gap widens in favour of urban areas when non-monetary dimensions are considered. Housing conditions and quality, and possession of less affordable durable goods emerge as the most unequally distributed non-monetary dimensions.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tsui Kai-Yuen, 1995. "Multidimensional Generalizations of the Relative and Absolute Inequality Indices: The Atkinson-Kolm-Sen Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 251-265, October.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Sahn, David & Younger, Stephen D., 2001.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Cahiers de recherche
0115, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Bruno Cheli & Gianni Betti, 1999. "Fuzzy analysis of poverty dynamics on an italian pseudo panel 1985-1994," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(1-2), pages 85-105.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Report 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4387, October.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1986. "The Measurement and Decomposition of Multi-dimensional Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 991-97, July.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, December.
- Richard Layte & Bertrand Maître & Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 1999. "Income, Deprivation and Economic Strain: An Analysis of the European Community Household Panel," Papers WP109, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Vijay Verma & Gianni Betti, 2011. "Taylor linearization sampling errors and design effects for poverty measures and other complex statistics," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 1549-1576, August.
- Vincenzo Salvucci & Gianni Betti & Francesca Gagliardi, 2012. "Multidimensional and Fuzzy Measures of Poverty and Inequality at National and Regional Level in Mozambique," Department of Economics University of Siena 649, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.