Occupational pension coverage in the European Union. An empirical analysis
In this paper we use European Community Household Panel (ECHP) data to analyze the determinants of occupational pension coverage outcomes in Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands, Spain and the United Kingdom. Pension coverage is modelled as a binary outcome explained by a vecor of personal, job and firm specific characteristics. The potential endogeneity of current wage earnings, included in this vecor, is ultimately faced within a simulteneous equation framework for limited dependent variables originally proposed by Nelson and Olson (1978). The evidence provided answers to a well recognised demand of pension coverage empirical information for policy purposes, both at national and at European Union (EU) level.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Freeman, 1985.
"Unions, Pensions, and Union Pension Funds,"
in: Pensions, Labor, and Individual Choice, pages 89-122
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gustman, Alan L. & Steinmeier, Thomas L., 1993.
"Pension portability and labor mobility : Evidence from the survey of income and program participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 299-323, March.
- Alan Gustman & Thomas Steinmeier, 1990. "Pension Portability and Labor Mobility: Evidence From the Survey of Income and Program Participation," NBER Working Papers 3525, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Even, William E & Macpherson, David A, 1990. "The Gender Gap in Pensions and Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 259-65, May.
- Zvi Bodie, 1989.
"Pensions as Retirement Income Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
2917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1994.
"The Role of Pensions in the Labor Market: A Survey of the Literature,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 417-438, April.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier & Olivia Mitchell, 1994. "The role of pensions in the labor market: A survey of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 417-438, April.
- Gerard Hughes & Brian Nolan, 1993. "Pensions and the Structure of the Labour Market: Evidence from Irish Data," Papers WP044, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gerard Hughes & Brian Nolan, 1999. "Competitive and Segmented Labour Markets and Exclusion from Retirement Income," Papers WP108, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- William E. Even & David A. MacPherson, 1996.
"Employer Size and Labor Turnover: The Role of Pensions,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(4), pages 707-728, July.
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1996. "Employer size and labor turnover: The role of pensions," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(4), pages 707-728, July.
- Alan L. Gustman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1993.
"The Role of Pensions in the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
4295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & Emily S. Andrews, 1981. "Scale economies in private multi-employer pension systems," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 34(4), pages 522-530, July.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1985. "The Economic Function of Underfunded Pension Plans," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 611-51, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2000-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.