Supplementary pension coverage in Britain
The 1986 Social Security Act introduced far-reaching changes to the supplementary pension environment in Britain, encouraging the growth of defined contribution pension plans and especially personal pensions. This paper examines the pattern of supplementary pension coverage of employees in Britain five years after the implementation of the Act, using cross-sectional data from the Family Resources Survey 1993-94. Two-thirds of employees in Britain are covered by private contracted-out pension schemes. Employer-provided defined benefit pension schemes remain the dominant type of supplementary pension scheme. The growth of personal pension plans is more marked among manual, less-skilled, workers in smaller establishments. The paper concludes that, in the absence of further pension reform, adverse labour market conditions will exert downward pressure on private pension coverage.
Volume (Year): 19 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorsey, Stuart, 1987. "The Economic Functions of Private Pensions: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages S171-89, October.
- Teresa Ghilarducci, 1992. "Labor's Capital: The Economics and Politics of Private Pensions," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262071398, June.
- Dilnot, Andrew & Disney, Richard & Johnson, Paul & Whitehouse, Edward, 1994. "Pensions policy in the UK: An economic analysis," MPRA Paper 10478, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mitchell, Olivia S, 1988.
"Worker Knowledge of Pension Provisions,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 21-39, January.
- Richard A. Ippolito, 1987. "The Implicit Pension Contract: Developments and New Directions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(3), pages 441-467.
- Bodie, Zvi, 1990.
"Pensions as Retirement Income Insurance,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 28-49, March.
- Blake, David, 2003. "Pension Schemes and Pension Funds in the United Kingdom," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199243532, March.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier & Olivia Mitchell, 1994.
"The role of pensions in the labor market: A survey of the literature,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 417-438, April.
- Alan L. Gustman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1994. "The Role of Pensions in the Labor Market: A Survey of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 417-438, April.
- Loewenstein, George F & Sicherman, Nachum, 1991. "Do Workers Prefer Increasing Wage Profiles?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Andrew A. Samwick & Jonathan Skinner, 1998. "How Will Defined Contribution Pension Plans Affect Retirement Income?," NBER Working Papers 6645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregg, Paul & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1995. "A Short History of Labour Turnover, Job Tenure, and Job Security, 1975-93," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 73-90, Spring.
- Green, Francis, 1982. "Occupational Pension Schemes and British Capitalism," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 267-83, September.
- Bloom, David E & Freeman, Richard B, 1992. "The Fall in Private Pension Coverage in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 539-45, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:fistud:v:19:y:1998:i:4:p:429-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.