An Analysis Of Pension Benefit Formulas, Pension Wealth And Incentives From Pensions
This paper investigates empirical issues related to pensions. It uses the 1983 Survey of Consumer Finances (SCF), a data set with detailed information both on workers and on their pensions. The paper presents new estimates of pension values for various groups. It compares pension values based on relatively complete SCF data with estimates based on incomplete data of the type found in other data sets. It also examines incentives that pensions create for retirement and job mobility, and relates these incentives to plan characteristics. Some findings appear inconsistent with standard explanations for the existence and nature of pensions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Research in Labor Economics, Vol. 10, pp. 53-106, 1989|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy I. Bulow, 1981. "Early Retirement Pension Benefits," NBER Working Papers 0654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & David A. Wise, 1987.
"The Incentive Effects of Private Pension Plans,"
in: Issues in Pension Economics, pages 283-340
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven G. Allen & Robert L. Clark & Daniel A. Sumner, 1986.
"Postretirement Adjustments of Pension Benefits,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 118-137.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1983.
"Unions, Pensions, and Union Pension Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
1226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Bodie & John B. Shoven & David A. Wise, 1987. "Issues in Pension Economics," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bodi87-1, Abril.
- Zvi Bodie & John B. Shoven, 1983. "Financial Aspects of the United States Pension System," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bodi83-1, Abril.
- Barnow, Burt S & Ehrenberg, Ronald G, 1979. "The Costs of Defined Benefit Pension Plans and Firm Adjustments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 523-40, November.
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1984.
NBER Working Papers
1477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy I, 1982. "What Are Corporate Pension Liabilities?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(3), pages 435-52, August.
- Gary S. Fields & Olivia S. Mitchell, 1984. "Retirement, Pensions, and Social Security," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262060914, June.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1987. "Pensions, Efficiency Wages, and Job Mobility," NBER Working Papers 2426, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2535. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.