Inflation-Targeting, Flexible Exchange Rates and Macroeconomic Performance since the Great Recession
Has inflation targeting (IT) conferred benefits in terms of economic growth on countries that followed this particular monetary policy strategy during the crisis period 2007-12? This paper answers this question in the affirmative. Countries with an IT monetary regime with flexible exchange rates weathered the crisis much better than countries with other monetary regimes, predominantly countries with fixed exchange rates. Part of this difference in growth performance reflects differences in export performance during the initial years of the crisis, which in turn can be explained by real exchange rate depreciations. However, IT seems also to confer other benefits on the countries above and beyond the effects from currency depreciation.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence M. Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2004.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter?,"
in: The Inflation-Targeting Debate, pages 249-282
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2004. "Does inflation targeting matter?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 118, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2003. "Does Inflation Targeting Matter?," NBER Working Papers 9577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niamh Sheridan & Laurence M. Ball, 2003. "Does Inflation Targeting Matter?," IMF Working Papers 03/129, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Coeuré & Pierre Jacquet & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2010. "Economic Policy: Theory and Practice," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00684190, HAL.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1994.
"The Macroeconomics of the Great Depression: A Comparative Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
4814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1995. "The Macroeconomics of the Great Depression: A Comparative Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 1-28, February.
- George Tavlas & Harris Dellas & Alan Stockman, 2008.
"The Classification and Perfomance of Alternative Exchange-Rate Systems,"
90, Bank of Greece.
- Tavlas, George & Dellas, Harris & Stockman, Alan C., 2008. "The classification and performance of alternative exchange-rate systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 941-963, August.
- Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Coeure, Benoit & Jacquet, Pierre & Pisani-Ferry, Jean, 2010. "Economic Policy: Theory and Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195322736.
- Goncalves, Carlos Eduardo S. & Salles, Joao M., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: What do the data say?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 312-318, February.
- Fernanda Nechio, 2011. "Monetary policy when one size does not fit all," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue june13.
- Christophe André, 2010. "A Bird's Eye View of OECD Housing Markets," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 746, OECD Publishing.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2013. "Currency war or international policy coordination?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 425-433.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:cepswp:9116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Minkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.