A meta-analysis of economic diplomacy and its effect on international economic flows
This meta-analysis deals with 29 empirical studies on the trade and investment impact of economic diplomacy (embassies, consulates and other diplomatic facilities, investment and export promotion offices, trade and state visits). The meta-regression results suggest that the significance of the coefficient of economic diplomacy is more pronounced when studies use embassies as an explanatory variable as compared to studies using consulates, trade missions, state visits and export promotion agencies. If the primary dependant variable under investigation is exports one may also expect to find more significant coefficients then in an otherwise similar regression explaining the relation between economic diplomacy and imports, total trade or foreign direct investment. Furthermore empirical design factors play a role in the reported results of the studies we reviewed. Studies based on a single country will in general show lower significance.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kortenaerkade 12, 2518 AX Den Haag|
Phone: +31 70 4260 460
Fax: +31 70 4260 799
Web page: http://www.iss.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- repec:idb:brikps:79264 is not listed on IDEAS
- Polachek, Solomon W, 1997. "Why Democracies Cooperate More and Fight Less: The Relationship between International Trade and Cooperation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 295-309, August.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2010.
"Which Foreigners Are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI,"
Working Papers IES
2010/16, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Aug 2010.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2010. "Which Foreigners are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp996, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2010. "Which Foreigners Are Worth Wooing? A Meta-Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI," Working Papers 2010/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2005.
"The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion,"
NBER Working Papers
11111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2007. "The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 22-38, 01.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2005. "The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion," CEPR Discussion Papers 4953, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anagaw Derseh Mebratie & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2013.
"Firm heterogeneity and development: A meta-analysis of FDI productivity spillovers,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 53-74, February.
- Mebratie, A.D. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2011. "Firm Heterogeneity and Development: A Meta Analysis of FDI Productivity Spill-overs," ISS Working Papers - General Series 525, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Mina Yakop & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2011. "Economic diplomacy, trade and developing countries," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 4(2), pages 253-267.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008.
"The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," Development Working Papers 186, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The puzzling persistence of the distance effect on bilateral trade," Post-Print hal-01172854, HAL.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"The Log of Gravity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 641-658, November.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self-Discovery,"
Working Paper Series
rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Summary, Rebecca M, 1989. "A Political-Economic Model of U.S. Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 179-182, February.
- Volker Nitsch, 2005.
"State Visits and International Trade,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1582, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rafael Reuveny & Heejoon Kang, 1998. "Bilateral Trade and Political Conflict/Cooperation: Do Goods Matter?," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 35(5), pages 581-602, September.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
NBER Working Papers
8349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solomon Polachek & Carlos Seiglie & Jun Xiang, 2007. "The Impact Of Foreign Direct Investment On International Conflict," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 415-429.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2004. "Sources of export success in small- and medium-sized enterprises: the impact of public programs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Salvador Gil & Rafael Llorca & José A. Martínez Serrano, 2008. "Measuring the impact of regional export promotion: The Spanish case," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(1), pages 139-146, 03.
- F H Rolf Seringhaus & Guenther Botschen, 1991. "Cross-National Comparison of Export Promotion Services: The Views of Canadian and Austrian Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(1), pages 115-133, March.
- Selwyn Moons, 2012. "What are the effects of economic diplomacy on the margins of trade?," International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 147-162.
- HÃ¥vard Hegre & John R Oneal & Bruce Russett, 2010. "Trade does promote peace: New simultaneous estimates of the reciprocal effects of trade and conflict," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 47(6), pages 763-774, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:euriss:50074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.