A meta-analysis of economic diplomacy and its effect on international economic flows
This meta-analysis deals with 29 empirical studies on the trade and investment impact of economic diplomacy (embassies, consulates and other diplomatic facilities, investment and export promotion offices, trade and state visits). The meta-regression results suggest that the significance of the coefficient of economic diplomacy is more pronounced when studies use embassies as an explanatory variable as compared to studies using consulates, trade missions, state visits and export promotion agencies. If the primary dependant variable under investigation is exports one may also expect to find more significant coefficients then in an otherwise similar regression explaining the relation between economic diplomacy and imports, total trade or foreign direct investment. Furthermore empirical design factors play a role in the reported results of the studies we reviewed. Studies based on a single country will in general show lower significance.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 70 4260 460
Fax: +31 70 4260 799
Web page: http://www.iss.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:inr:wpaper:21709 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004.
"The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade,"
Development Working Papers
186, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self Discovery,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," NBER Working Papers 8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Salvador Gil & Rafael Llorca & José A. Martínez Serrano, 2008. "Measuring the impact of regional export promotion: The Spanish case," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(1), pages 139-146, 03.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2007.
"The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 22-38, 01.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2005. "The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion," CEPR Discussion Papers 4953, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2005. "The Foreign Service and Foreign Trade: Embassies as Export Promotion," NBER Working Papers 11111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J Bradford Jensen & Andrew B Bernard, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
01-05, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Rossitza B. Wooster & David S. Diebel, 2010. "Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Meta-Regression Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(s1), pages 640-655, 08.
- Arjan Lejour & Harold Creusen, 2011.
"Uncertainty and the export decisions of Dutch firms,"
CPB Discussion Paper
183, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Harold Creusen & Arjan Lejour, 2011. "Uncertainty and the export decisions of Dutch firms," FIW Working Paper series 069, FIW.
- Selwyn Moons, 2012. "What are the effects of economic diplomacy on the margins of trade?," International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 147-162.
- Summary, Rebecca M, 1989. "A Political-Economic Model of U.S. Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 179-82, February.
- Nitsch, Volker, 2007.
"State visits and international trade,"
2007/3, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Anagaw Derseh Mebratie & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2013.
"Firm heterogeneity and development: A meta-analysis of FDI productivity spillovers,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 53-74, February.
- Mebratie, A.D. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2011. "Firm Heterogeneity and Development: A Meta Analysis of FDI Productivity Spill-overs," ISS Working Papers - General Series 525, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005.
"The Log of Gravity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- HÃ¥vard Hegre & John R Oneal & Bruce Russett, 2010. "Trade does promote peace: New simultaneous estimates of the reciprocal effects of trade and conflict," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 47(6), pages 763-774, November.
- Rubén Segura-Cayuela & Josep M. Vilarrubia, 2008. "The effect of foreign service on trade volumes and trade partners," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0808, Banco de Espa�a.
- Lazzaroni, Sara & van Bergeijk, Peter A.G., 2014.
"Natural disasters' impact, factors of resilience and development: A meta-analysis of the macroeconomic literature,"
Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 333-346.
- Lazzaroni, S. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2013. "Natural disasters impact, factors of resilience and development: A meta-analysis of the macroeconomic literature," ISS Working Papers - General Series 554, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Mina Yakop & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2011. "Economic diplomacy, trade and developing countries," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 4(2), pages 253-267.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2004. "Sources of export success in small- and medium-sized enterprises: the impact of public programs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Solomon Polachek & Carlos Seiglie & Jun Xiang, 2007. "The Impact Of Foreign Direct Investment On International Conflict," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 415-429.
- Harold Creusen & Arjan Lejour, 2013. "Market entry and economic diplomacy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 504-507, March.
- Polachek, Solomon W, 1997. "Why Democracies Cooperate More and Fight Less: The Relationship between International Trade and Cooperation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 295-309, August.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:euriss:50074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.