Regional Unemployment in Turkey
High unemployment rates are a concern for a country, existence of high regional unemployment differentials is another. Turkey has both. This paper using spatial and nonparametric techniques documents the wide regional unemployment disparities in Turkey from 1980 to 2000. Data indicate that the provincial unemployment rates are quite persistent and the gap across different regions widens even further with spatial clusters emerging across the country. The evidence indicates that human capital and demand deficiency are the sources of observed disparity across provinces. Furthermore, the sources of unemployment differentials have changed over time. Copyright (c) 2009 the author(s). Journal compilation (c) 2009 RSAI.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 351 Pleasant Street, #357, Northampton MA 01060-3900 USA|
Phone: +1 413 586 3203
Fax: +1 413 517 0900
Web page: http://www.ecomod.net
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysit TANSEL & H. Mehmet TASCI, "undated".
"Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey,"
Middle East and North Africa
- Tansel, Aysit & Tasci, H. Mehmet, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 1258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aysit Tansel & Mehmet Tasci, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/6, Turkish Economic Association.
- Aysit Tansel & H. Mehmet Tasçi, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0404, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Feb 2004.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Tomás del Barrio & Manuel Artis, 2002. "The regional distribution of Spanish unemployment: A spatial analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(3), pages 365-389.
- Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Del Barrio, Tomas & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "The regional distribution of spanish unemployment. A spatial analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa02p020, European Regional Science Association.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)