Time series for main variables on the performance of Dutch SMEs
National Accounts provide detailed information on the development of the economy detailed by sector of industry. However, a disaggregation by enterprise size class is not available. The available data on the size class structure of the economy shows huge and unrealistic fluctuations and can therefore not directly be used to disaggregate the information from National Accounts. This paper reviews some methods to smooth developments shown in source data with respect to the share of small, medium-sized and large enterprises. It appears that in principle, the Hodrick-Prescott filter is most suited to fulfill this task. A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter is used. In particular, the simultaneous smoothing of interrelated series, taking into account the definitional relations existing between them, performs quite well. The methodology has been tested for two rather different sectors of industry, i.e. chemical industry (large-scaled, business-to-business oriented, capital-intensive) and retail trade (small-scaled, oriented towards consumers, labor-intensive). It appears that adjusted series, according to industry experts, give a more realistic description of historical developments than the original series do. �
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich Woitek, 1998. "A Note on the Baxter-King Filter," Working Papers 9813, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1, July.
- Hildergart Ahumada & Lorena Garegnani, 1999. "Hodrik – Prescott filter in practice," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(4), pages 61-76.
- Hildegart Ahumada & María Lorena Garegnani, 2000. "Assesing HP Filter Performance for Argentina and U.S. Macro Aggregates," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 257-284, November.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eim:papers:h201204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.