Who Is Hurt by E-Commerce? Crowding out and Business Stealing in Online Grocery
I study the impact of e-commerce on competition in retail markets. Using scanner data from a large chain that markets grocery online and through traditional stores, I illustrate that selling online reduces the barrier of geographic differentiation and allows stealing business from competitors. Between 60% and 70% of the sales made online by the chain are stolen from other grocers, the rest coming from self cannibalization. I show that small stores are suffering the largest losses from this reallocation of market shares, as they were more heavily relying on geographic differentiation to survive the competitive pressure of big-box stores.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 066790013
Fax: +39 0647924872
Web page: http://www.eief.it/repec
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Forman & Anindya Ghose & Avi Goldfarb, 2009. "Competition Between Local and Electronic Markets: How the Benefit of Buying Online Depends on Where You Live," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(1), pages 47-57, January.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2011.
"Entry Barriers in Retail Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(551), pages 145-170, March.
- Schivardi, Fabiano & Viviano, Eliana, 2008. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 6637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2010. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," Working Papers CELEG 1003, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- F. Schivardi & E. Viviano, 2009. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," Working Paper CRENoS 200908, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2008. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," EIEF Working Papers Series 0814, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Jul 2008.
- Liran Einav & Ephraim Leibtag & Aviv Nevo, 2010. "Recording discrepancies in Nielsen Homescan data: Are they present and do they matter?," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 207-239, June.
- John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & C.J. Krizan, 2009.
"Mom-and-Pop Meet Big-Box: Complements or Substitutes?,"
09-34, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & C. J. Krizan, 2010. "Mom-and-Pop Meet Big Box: Complements or Substitutes?," NBER Chapters, in: Cities and Entrepreneurship National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haltiwanger, John & Jarmin, Ron & Krizan, C.J., 2010. "Mom-and-Pop meet Big-Box: Complements or substitutes?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 116-134, January.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Austan Goolsbee, 2002.
"Does the Internet Make Markets More Competitive? Evidence from the Life Insurance Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 481-507, June.
- Brown, Jeffrey, 2000. "Does the Internet Make Markets More Competitive? Evidence from the Life Insurance Industry," Working Paper Series rwp00-007, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Holmes, Thomas J, 2001.
"Bar Codes Lead to Frequent Deliveries and Superstores,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 708-25, Winter.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1999. "Bar codes lead to frequent deliveries and superstores," Staff Report 261, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrea Pozzi, 2009.
"Shopping Cost and Brand Exploration in Online Grocery,"
09-10, NET Institute, revised Sep 2009.
- Andrea Pozzi, 2012. "Shopping Cost and Brand Exploration in Online Grocery," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 96-120, August.
- Sinai, Todd & Waldfogel, Joel, 2004.
"Geography and the Internet: is the Internet a substitute or a complement for cities?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-24, July.
- Todd Sinai & Joel Waldfogel, 2003. "Geography and the Internet: Is the Internet a Substitute or a Complement for Cities?," NBER Working Papers 10028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toivanen, Otto & Waterson, Michael, 2011. "Retail Chain Expansion: The Early Years of McDonalds in Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 8534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goldfarb, Avi & Prince, Jeff, 2008. "Internet adoption and usage patterns are different: Implications for the digital divide," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 2-15, March.
- Ellickson, Paul, 2005. "Does Sutton Apply to Supermarkets?," Working Papers 05-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eie:wpaper:1114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facundo Piguillem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.