Consumption, Saving, Investment, and Unemployment. SVAR Tests of the Effects of Changes in the Consumption-Saving Pattern
In this paper we aim to provide information about the transmission mechanism at work between investment and unemployment by looking at the consumption-saving pattern as a determinant of investment behaviour. Our starting hypothesis is that permanent shifts in the consumption-saving pattern will have permanent effects on investment, with subsequent consequences for the unemployment rate. To test this hypothesis we build an SVAR model for the Spanish economy seeking information about the response of the four relevant macroeconomic variables (consumption, saving, investment and unemployment) to simulated shocks imposed on the system.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Chalé dos Catedráticos, 1. Avda. das Ciencias s/n. Campus Vida, 15782 Santiago de Compostela|
Phone: 981 59 11 66
Fax: 981 59 99 35
Web page: http://www.usc.es/idega/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Pablo F. Salvador, 2007.
"Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience,"
611, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Pablo F. Salvador, 2008. "Capital accumulation and unemployment: new insights on the Nordic experience," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 977-1001, November.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Salvador, Pablo F., 2007. "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience," IZA Discussion Papers 3066, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, "undated".
"Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two 'Continents',"
9820, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Malley, Jim & Moutos, Thomas, 2001. " Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two "Continents."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 79-99, March.
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, 2000. "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two "Continents"," CESifo Working Paper Series 236, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ron Smith & Gylfi Zoega, 2005. "Unemployment, Investment and Global Expected Returns: A Panel FAVAR Approach," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0524, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Sujit Kapadia, 2003.
"The Capital Stock and Equilibrium Unemployment: A New Theoretical Perspective,"
Economics Series Working Papers
181, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sujit Kapadia, 2004. "The Capital Stock and Equilibrium Unemployment: A New Theoretical Perspective," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 88, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Philip Arestis & Michelle Baddeley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2007. "The Relationship Between Capital Stock, Unemployment And Wages In Nine Emu Countries," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 125-148, 04.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Gylfi Zoega, 2009.
"Employment and Asset Prices,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0917, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006.
"Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain (1980-1995),"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p53, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2009. "Labour market flexibility and regional unemployment rate dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 181-207, 03.
- Bande, Roberto & Karanassou, Marika, 2007. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," IZA Discussion Papers 2593, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Working Papers 574, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 1998.
"Capital shortages and asymmetries in UK unemployment,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Philip Arestis & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, "undated". "Capital Shortages and Asymmetries in UK Unemployment," Working Papers 9607, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1982. "Dynamic effects of permanent and temporary tax policies in a q model of investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 353-373.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 2000. "Capital Stock, Unemployment and Wages in the UK and Germany," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(5), pages 487-503, November.
- Natasha Miaouli, 2001. "Employment and Capital Accumulation in Unionised Labour Markets: Evidence from five south-European countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 5-29.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-987, December.
- Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. "The Modigliani 'puzzle'," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 437-442, August.
- Thomas J. Cunningham, 1994. "Review essay on Structural Slumps: the Modern Equilibrium Theory of Unemployment, Interest, and Assets by Edmund S. Phelps, 1994," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Nov, pages 30-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edg:anecon:0045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Fernandez Grela)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.