Consumption, Saving, Investment, and Unemployment. SVAR Tests of the Effects of Changes in the Consumption-Saving Pattern
In this paper we aim to provide information about the transmission mechanism at work between investment and unemployment by looking at the consumption-saving pattern as a determinant of investment behaviour. Our starting hypothesis is that permanent shifts in the consumption-saving pattern will have permanent effects on investment, with subsequent consequences for the unemployment rate. To test this hypothesis we build an SVAR model for the Spanish economy seeking information about the response of the four relevant macroeconomic variables (consumption, saving, investment and unemployment) to simulated shocks imposed on the system.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 981 59 11 66
Fax: 981 59 99 35
Web page: http://www.usc.es/idega/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ron Smith & Gylfi Zoega, 2005. "Unemployment, Investment and Global Expected Returns: A Panel FAVAR Approach," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0524, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Philip Arestis & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, .
"Capital Shortages and Asymmetries in UK Unemployment,"
9607, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 1998. "Capital shortages and asymmetries in UK unemployment," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006.
"Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain (1980-1995),"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p53, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2009. "Labour market flexibility and regional unemployment rate dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 181-207, 03.
- Bande, Roberto & Karanassou, Marika, 2007. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," IZA Discussion Papers 2593, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberto Bande & Marika Karanassou, 2006. "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995," Working Papers 574, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Philip Arestis & Michelle Baddeley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2007. "The Relationship Between Capital Stock, Unemployment And Wages In Nine Emu Countries," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 125-148, 04.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Salvador, Pablo F., 2007.
"Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3066, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Pablo F. Salvador, 2008. "Capital accumulation and unemployment: new insights on the Nordic experience," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 977-1001, November.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Pablo F. Salvador, 2007. "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience," Working Papers 611, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. "The Modigliani 'puzzle'," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 437-442, August.
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, .
"Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two 'Continents',"
9820, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Malley, Jim & Moutos, Thomas, 2001. " Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two "Continents."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 79-99, March.
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, 2000. "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: A Tale of Two "Continents"," CESifo Working Paper Series 236, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gylfi Zoega, 2009.
"Employment and Asset Prices,"
wp46, Department of Economics, Central bank of Iceland.
- Thomas J. Cunningham, 1994. "Review essay on Structural Slumps: the Modern Equilibrium Theory of Unemployment, Interest, and Assets by Edmund S. Phelps, 1994," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Nov, pages 30-33.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 2000. "Capital Stock, Unemployment and Wages in the UK and Germany," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(5), pages 487-503, November.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1982. "Dynamic effects of permanent and temporary tax policies in a q model of investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 353-373.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Natasha Miaouli, 2001. "Employment and Capital Accumulation in Unionised Labour Markets: Evidence from five south-European countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 5-29.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edg:anecon:0045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Fernandez Grela)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.