NAIRU, Unemployment and Post Keynesian Economics
The purpose of this paper is to present the disadvantages from the use of NAIRU as the key instrument of monetary-policy making to restrain the upward tendency of unemployment. It argues that the development of NAIRU, the most widely known and used model in macroeconomic analysis, although has changed the whole structure of macroeconomic theory and policy significantly, its adoption is consistent with unemployment, instead of economic activity expansion. By setting at the center of analysis the persistently high levels of unemployment and questioning the NAIRU concept itself, this paper aims at signifying the incorrectness of the assumptions upon which NAIRU rests and determines employment policies, though are regarded as a priori given.
|Date of creation:||02 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baker, Dean & Glyn, Andrew & Howell, David & Schmitt, John, 2004. "Unemployment and labour market institutions : the failure of the empirical case for deregulation," ILO Working Papers 374124, International Labour Organization.
- DREZE, Jacques & BEAN, Charles, 1990. "Europe's employment problem: Introduction and synthesis," CORE Discussion Papers 1990041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philip Arestis & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, 1997. "Conflict, Effort and Capital Stock in UK Wage Determination," Empirica, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 179-193, October.
- Philip Arestis & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, .
"Capital Shortages and Asymmetries in UK Unemployment,"
9607, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 1998. "Capital shortages and asymmetries in UK unemployment," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Alvaro Angeriz & Philip Arestis, 2007. "Monetary policy in the UK," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(6), pages 863-884, November.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2006.
"Is the NAIRU theory a Monetarist, New Keynesian, Post Keynesian or a Marxist theory?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp096, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2008. "Is The Nairu Theory A Monetarist, New Keynesian, Post Keynesian Or A Marxist Theory?," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 479-510, 07.
- Setterfield, M.A. & Gordon, D.V. & Osberg, L., 1990.
"Searching For A Will O'The Wisp: An Empirical Study Of The Nairu In Canada,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
90-04, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Setterfield, M. A. & Gordon, D. V. & Osberg, L., 1992. "Searching for a will o' the wisp : An empirical study of the NAIRU in Canada," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 119-136, January.
- Marc Lavoie & Gabriel Rodriguez & Mario Seccareccia, 2004. "Similitudes and Discrepancies in Post-Keynesian and Marxist Theories of Investment: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 127-149.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2005.
"Aggregate demand, conflict and capacity in the inflationary process,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 959-974, November.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003. "Aggregate Demand, Conflict, and Capacity in the Inflationary Process," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_391, Levy Economics Institute.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004.
"Is there an equilibrium rate of unemployment in the long run?,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 59-77.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2000. "Is There an Equilibrium Rate of Unemployment in the Long Run?," Working Papers geewp10, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Davidson, Paul, 1998. "Post Keynesian Employment Analysis and the Macroeconomics of OECD Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 817-31, May.
- Dean Baker & Andrew Glyn & David Howell & John Schmitt, 2002.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence,"
SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization.
2002-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Andrew Glyn, 2003. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 168, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Marc Lavoie, 2003. "Kaleckian Effective Demand and Sraffian Normal Prices: Towards a reconciliation," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 53-74.
- Philip Arestis & Michelle Baddeley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2007. "The Relationship Between Capital Stock, Unemployment And Wages In Nine Emu Countries," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 125-148, 04.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004. "Explaining European Unemployment: Testing the NAIRU Hypothesis and a Keynesian Approach," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-26.
- Arestis, Philip & Mariscal, Iris Biefang-Frisancho, 2000. "Capital Stock, Unemployment and Wages in the UK and Germany," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(5), pages 487-503, November.
- Mark Setterfield, 2003. "Supply and Demand in the Theory of Long-run Growth: Introduction to a symposium on demand-led growth," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 23-32.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:1105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.