The Emergence of Captive Finance Companies and Risk Segmentation of the Consumer Loan Market:Theory and Evidence
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Barron, John M & Valev, Neven T, 2000. "International Lending by U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 357-381, August.
- Jeffrey M. Perloff & Steven C. Salop, 1985.
"Equilibrium with Product Differentiation,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 107-120.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Salop, Steven, 1984. "Equilibrium with product differentiation," CUDARE Working Papers 47004, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Salop, Steven, 1984. "Equilibrium with product differentiation," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4cq0m6s3, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Staten, Michael E & Gilley, Otis W & Umbeck, John, 1990. "Information Costs and the Organization of Credit Markets: A Theory of Indirect Lending," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(3), pages 508-529, July.
- Boczar, Gregory E, 1978. "Competition between Banks and Finance Companies: A Cross Section Study of Personal Loan Debtors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 245-258, March.
- David B. Gross, 2002.
"An Empirical Analysis of Personal Bankruptcy and Delinquency,"
Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 319-347, March.
- David B. Gross & Nicholas S. Souleles, 1999. "An Empirical Analysis of Personal Bankruptcy and Delinquency," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David B. Gross & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2001. "An Empirical Analysis of Personal Bankruptcy and Delinquency," NBER Working Papers 8409, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt C. Wulfekuhler, 1992.
"Finance companies, bank competition, and niche markets,"
Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 17(Sum), pages 25-38.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt C. Wulfekuhler, 1993. "Finance companies, bank competition and niche markets," Research Paper 9316, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hogan, W P, 1999. "The Future of Banking: A Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 417-427, December.
- John M. Barron & Michael E. Staten & Stephanie M. Wilshusen, 2002. "The Impact Of Casino Gambling On Personal Bankruptcy Filing Rates," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 440-455, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K, 2000. "Mortgage Default with Asymmetric Information," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 251-274, May.
- Mark Carey & Mitch Post & Steven A. Sharpe, 1998.
"Does Corporate Lending by Banks and Finance Companies Differ? Evidence on Specialization in Private Debt Contracting,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 845-878, June.
- Mark S. Carey & Mitchell A. Post & Steven A. Sharpe, 1996. "Does corporate lending by banks and finance companies differ? Evidence on specialization in private debt contracting," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (US).
- DeVaney, Sharon A. & Lytton, Ruth H., 1995. "Household insolvency: A review of household debt repayment, delinquency, and bankruptcy," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 137-156.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alena Bicakova, 2007.
"Does the Good Matter? Evidence on Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection from Consumer Credit Market,"
Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 66(1), pages 29-66, March.
- Alena Bicakova, 2007. "Does the Good Matter? Evidence on Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection from Consumer Credit Market," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/02, European University Institute.
- Bodnaruk, Andriy & O'Brien, William & Simonov, Andrei, 2016. "Captive finance and firm's competitiveness," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 210-228.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- John M. Barron & Byung‐Uk Chong & Michael E. Staten, 2008. "Emergence of Captive Finance Companies and Risk Segmentation in Loan Markets: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 173-192, February.
- Georgarakos, Dimitris & Lojschova, Adriana & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2009.
"Mortgage Indebtedness and Household Financial Distress,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4631, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Georgarakos, Dimitris & Lojschová, Adriana & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2010. "Mortgage indebtedness and household financial distress," Working Paper Series 1156, European Central Bank.
- Gopalakrishnan, Balagopal & Jacob, Joshy & Pandey, Ajay, 2018. "Lender Moral Hazard in State-owned Banks: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," IIMA Working Papers WP 2018-07-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Chomsisengphet, Souphala & Elul, Ronel, 2006. "Bankruptcy exemptions, credit history, and the mortgage market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 171-188, January.
- Alfredo Martin-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumas & Jesús Saurina, 2008.
"Search Cost and Price Dispersion in Vertically Related Markets: The Case of Bank Loans and Deposits,"
Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(4), pages 297-323, December.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumás & Jesús Saurina, 2008. "Search cost and price dispersion in vertically related markets: the case of bank loans and deposits," Working Papers 0825, Banco de España.
- Philip Du Caju & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2015.
"Unemployment Risk and Over-indebtedness A Micro-econometric Perspective,"
Working Papers CEB
15-046, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- François Rycx & Philip Du Caju & Ilan Tojerow, 2016. "Unemployment Risk and Over-indebtedness. A Micro-econometric Perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/245844, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Philip Du Caju & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2016. "Unemployment risk and over-indebtedness : A micro-econometric perspective," Working Paper Research 294, National Bank of Belgium.
- Du Caju, Philip & Rycx, Francois & Tojerow, Ilan, 2015. "Unemployment Risk and Over-Indebtedness: A Micro-Econometric Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 9572, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Jauling Tseng, 2021. "How do finance companies' advantages affect competitive strategies in short‐ and intermediate‐term loan markets? A theoretical analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 4295-4302, July.
- Michelle J. White, 2008. "Bankruptcy: Past Puzzles, Recent Reforms, and the Mortgage Crisis," NBER Working Papers 14549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adkisson, Richard V. & Saucedo, Eduardo, 2012. "Emulation and state-by-state variations in bankruptcy rates," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 400-407.
- Benjamin J. Keys, 2018.
"The Credit Market Consequences of Job Displacement,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 405-415, July.
- Benjamin J. Keys, 2010. "The credit market consequences of job displacement," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michelle J. White, 2007. "Bankruptcy Reform and Credit Cards," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 175-200, Fall.
- Tseng, Jauling, 1996. "Farmer-borrowers' selection of short- and intermediate-term loan contracts: traditional lenders versus nontraditional lenders," ISU General Staff Papers 1996010108000012129, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Oh, Joon-Hee & Johnston, Wesley J., 2014. "Credit lender–borrower relationship in the credit card market – Implications for credit risk management strategy and relationship marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1086-1095.
- Karlyn Mitchell & Douglas Pearce, 2011. "Lending technologies, lending specialization, and minority access to small-business loans," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 277-304, October.
- Gopalakrishnan, Balagopal, 2017. "What Does Matched Bank-Firm Data Tell Us about the Moral Hazard in Lending Decisions of State-Owned Banks in India? (Revised as on January 3, 2018)," IIMA Working Papers WP 2017-11-02, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Michelle J. White, 2007. "Bankruptcy Reform and Credit Cards," NBER Working Papers 13265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amy Cutts & Robert Order, 2004. "On the Economics of Subprime Lending," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 167-196, November.
- Claudine Gartenberg, 2014. "Do Parents Matter? Effects of Lender Affiliation Through the Mortgage Boom and Bust," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 60(11), pages 2776-2793, November.
- Janvier D. Nkurunziza, 2005. "Reputation and Credit without Collateral in Africa`s Formal Banking," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bruinshoofd Allard & Kool Clemens, 2002. "The Determinants of Corporate Liquidity in the Netherlands," Research Memorandum 014, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
More about this item
KeywordsMonopolistic Competition; Consumer Loan Market; Captive Finance Company; Differential Loan Performances;
All these keywords.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search; Learning; Information and Knowledge; Communication; Belief; Unawareness
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:feam04:584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/essssea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Christopher F. Baum (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/essssea.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.