Maximal Invariant Likelihood Based Testing of Semi-Linear Models
In this paper, we use a maximal invariant likelihood (MIL) to construct two likelihood ratio (LR) tests. The first involves testing for the inclusion of a non-linear regressor and the second involves testing of a linear regressor against the alternative of a non-linear regressor. We report the results of a Monte Carlo experiment that compares the size and power properties of the traditional LR tests with those of our proposed MIL based LR tests. Our simulation results show that in both cases the MIL based tests have more accurate asymptotic critical values and better behaved (i.e., better centred) power curves than their classical counterparts
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McManus, Douglas A. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N. E., 1994. "Multiple optima and asymptotic approximations in the partial adjustment model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 91-128, June.
- Martin, Vance L., 1998. "Econometric Society Australasian Meetings 1997 (ESAM97)," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 800-801, December.
- Laskar, Mizan R. & King, Maxwell L., 1997. "Modified Wald test for regression disturbances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 5-11, September.
- Ara, I. & King, M.L., 1995. "Marginal Likelihood Based Tests of a Subvector of the Parameter Vector of Linear Regression Disturbances," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/95, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Rahman, S. & King, M.L., 1994. "A Comparison of Marginal Likelihood Based and Approximate Point Optimal Tests for Random Regression Coefficient in the Presence of Autocorrelation," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/94, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Rahman, Shahidur & King, Maxwell L., 1997. "Marginal-likelihood score-based tests of regression disturbances in the presence of nuisance parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 81-106.
- Laskar, M.R. & King, M.L., 1998. "Modified Likelihood and Related Methods for Handling Nuisance Parameters in the Linear Regression Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 5/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Moulton, Brent R & Randolph, William C, 1989. "Alternative Tests of the Error Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 685-693, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:ausm04:245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.