Testing linear regression model with AR(1) errors against a first-order dynamic linear regression model with white noise errors: A point optimal testing approach
We know very little about the performance of point optimal (PO) and approximate point optimal (APO) tests in the presence of unavoidable nuisance parameters. Because marginal likelihood based tests are said to perform well in the presence of unavoidable nuisance parameters, this paper compares the performance of marginal likelihood based APO tests and classical tests using a testing problem which has been largely overlooked by econometric practitioners, namely testing for a static linear regression model with AR(1) errors against a dynamic linear regression model with white noise errors. It is well known that the classical tests are specifically designed for nested testing, they are applied to test for the significance of the dynamic coefficient of a dynamic linear regression model with AR(1) errors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phipps, Mary C. & Byron, Peter M., 2007. "A filter for "confidence interval P-values"," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 6435-6446, August.
- Marie-Claude Beaulieu & Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2013.
"Identification-Robust Estimation and Testing of the Zero-Beta CAPM,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 80(3), pages 892-924.
- Marie-Claude Beaulieu & Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2011. "Identification-robust estimation and testing of the zero-beta CAPM," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-21, CIRANO.
- Giles, D. E. A., 1975. "Discriminating between autoregressive forms : A Monte Carlo comparison of Bayesian and ad hoc methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 229-248, August.
- Clifton T Jones, 1993. "Another Look at U.S. Passenger Vehicle Use and the 'Rebound' Effect from Improved Fuel Efficiency," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 99-110.
- David L. Greene, 1992. "Vehicle Use and Fuel Economy: How Big is the "Rebound" Effect?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 117-144.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Jouini, Tarek, 2006. "Finite-sample simulation-based inference in VAR models with application to Granger causality testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 229-254.
- Rahman, S. & King, M.L., 1994. "A Comparison of Marginal Likelihood Based and Approximate Point Optimal Tests for Random Regression Coefficient in the Presence of Autocorrelation," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/94, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Sriananthakumar, Sivagowry & King, Maxwell L., 2006. "A new approximate point optimal test of a composite null hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 101-122, January.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 2006. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: A general approach to finite-sample inference and nonstandard asymptotics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 443-477, August.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005. "Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics," Cahiers de recherche 2005-03, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2005. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: a general approach to finite-sample inference and non-standard asymptotics," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-02, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005. "Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics," Cahiers de recherche 03-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Inder, Brett, 1986. "An Approximation to the Null Distribution of the Durbin-Watson Statistic in Models Containing Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 413-428, December.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164.
- Francke, Marc K. & de Vos, Aart F., 2007. "Marginal likelihood and unit roots," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 708-728, April.
- G. Forchini, 2005. "Some Properties of Tests for Possibly Unidentified Parameters," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Valéry, Pascale, 2009. "Exact and asymptotic tests for possibly non-regular hypotheses on stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 193-206, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Spanos, Aris, 2002. "The Linear Regression Model With Autocorrelated Errors: Just Say No To Error Autocorrelation," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19905, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1990. "Exact Tests and Confidence Sets in Linear Regressions with Autocorrelated Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 475-494, March.
- Dufour, J.-M., 1986. "Exact tests and confidence sets in linear regressions with autocorrelated errors," CORE Discussion Papers 1986037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rahman, Shahidur & King, Maxwell L., 1997. "Marginal-likelihood score-based tests of regression disturbances in the presence of nuisance parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 81-106.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:126-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.