Institutions and Organizational Socialization: Integrating Employees in Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions
There is a consensus within the Merger and Acquisition (M&A) literature that acquisitions fail during the integration phase, in large part due to neglect of social factors such as differences in rules, norms, and values across organizations. Thus, a crucial part of successful integration is whether firms can socialize employees effectively into the newly merged entity so that they learn accepted ways of behaving in that organization. This effect is exacerbated for cross-border M&As. Yet, there is little theory and practical advice on how to successfully manage post-M&A integration. We draw on institutional and socialization theories to develop a framework that identifies the most salient institutions involved in the socialization of employees during the post-acquisition integration process and apply this model to the international dimension. We conclude by presenting managerial implications of our model and suggestions for future research.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uiuc.edu/Working_Papers/Main.asp|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schuler, Randall & Jackson, Susan, 2001. "HR issues and activities in mergers and acquisitions," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 239-253, June.
- Checkel, Jeffrey T., 2005. "International Institutions and Socialization in Europe: Introduction and Framework," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(04), pages 801-826, October.
- Piero Morosini & Scott Shane & Harbir Singh, 1998. "National Cultural Distance and Cross-Border Acquisition Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 137-158, March.
- Inzerilli, Giorgio & Rosen, Michael, 1983. "Culture and organizational control," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 281-292, September.
- Hitt, Michael A. & Harrison, Jeffrey S. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2001. "Mergers and Acquisitions: A Guide to Creating Value for Stakeholders," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195112856.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:illbus:06-0112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.