Firms’ financing constraints: do perceptions match the actual situation?
This paper uses a non parametric matching procedure to match survey replies to balance sheet information. It draws on the SAFE survey on access to finance for a sample of 11886 firms in the euro area which are matched with their nearest neighbour in an extended dataset with balance sheet information on 2.3 million firms. We investigate the role of rm characteristics with respect to the experience of facing financing obstacles in the period 2009-2011. We distinguish between firms' perceived financing constraints and actual financing constraints. We find that more pro table firms are less likely to face actual financing constraints. Also firms with more working capital and lower leverage ratios are less likely to be actually financially constrained, however profitability measures seem to be more robust. Firms are more likely to perceive access to finance problematic when they have more debt with short term maturity. Finally, rm age, but not size, is important in explaining both the perceived and the actual financial constraints. JEL Classification: E22, G30, G10, O16, K40
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Maksimovic, V., 2006.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Other publications TiSEM
3fd6bd22-71e9-4084-87a3-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988.
"Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview,"
NBER Working Papers
2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler, 1988. "Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-88, August.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 2000. "Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Are Useful: A Comment On Kaplan And Zingales," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 695-705, May.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Alexander Popov & Pinar Yesin, 2010.
"Who Needs Credit and Who Gets Credit in Eastern Europe?,"
2010-09, Swiss National Bank.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Alexander Popov & Pinar Yeşin, 2011. "Who needs credit and who gets credit in Eastern Europe?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 26(01), pages 93-130, January.
- Brown, M. & Ongena, S. & Popov, A. & Yesin, P., 2010. "Who Needs Credit and Who Gets Credit in Eastern Europe?," Discussion Paper 2010-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Popov, Alexander & Yesin, Pinar, 2012. "Who needs credit and who gets credit in Eastern Europe?," Working Paper Series 1421, European Central Bank.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2000. "Measurement Error and the Relationship between Investment and q," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 1027-1057, October.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 2000. "Liquidity and Risk Management," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 295-319, August.
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Mateut, Simona, 2006.
"Credit channel, trade credit channel, and inventory investment: Evidence from a panel of UK firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2835-2856, October.
- Alessandra Guariglia & Simona Mateut, 2004. "Credit channel, trade credit channel, and inventory investment: evidence from a panel of UK firms," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 16, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Simona Mateut & Alessandra Guariglia, . "Credit channel, trade credit channel, and inventory investment: evidence from a panel of UK firms," Discussion Papers 05/02, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4295079 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlos A. Molina, 2005. "Are Firms Underleveraged? An Examination of the Effect of Leverage on Default Probabilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1427-1459, 06.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012.
"Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide,"
Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 36, pages 23-46, December.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide," GEMF Working Papers 2012-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991.
"Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20131577. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.