Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses : an empirical analysis
This paper focuses on how forecasts information is disclosed in IPO prospectuses. In France, managers report either detailed forecasts or only a brief summary. We investigate the determinants and consequences of the varying levels of detail provided in these forecasts. Based on a sample of 82 IPOs on the Euronext Paris market (2000-2002), we show that only two variables are associated with highly detailed forecast disclosures: forecast horizon and firm age. We also find that the forecast error decreases as the level of detail in the forecast disclosures increases. This finding is robust to our reverse causality test (Heckman two-stage self-selection procedure) and suggests that the level of detail in forecast disclosures enhances the reliability of earnings forecasts.
|Date of creation:||21 Dec 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2000. "Investor protection and corporate governance," Scholarly Articles 29408126, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, "undated". "Investor Protection and Corporate Governance," Working Paper 19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Brown, Philip & Clarke, Alex & How, Janice C. Y. & Lim, Kadir, 2000. "The accuracy of management dividend forecasts in Australia," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 309-331, July.
- Hughes, Patricia J., 1986. "Signalling by direct disclosure under asymmetric information," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 119-142, June.
- Ross L. Watts, 1977. "Corporate Financial Statements, A Product of the Market and Political Processes," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 2(1), pages 53-75, April.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Krishnan, Gopal V., 2001. "Earnings forecast errors in IPO prospectuses and their associations with initial stock returns," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 225-240, April.
- Jaggi, Bikki, 1997. "Accuracy of forecast information disclosed in the IPO prospectuses of Hong Kong companies," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 301-319.
- Mak, Y. T., 1994. "The voluntary review of earnings forecasts disclosed in IPO prospectuses," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 141-158.
- Lee, Philip & Stokes, Donald & Taylor, Stephen & Walter, Terry, 2003. "The association between audit quality, accounting disclosures and firm-specific risk: Evidence from initial public offerings," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 377-400.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Vijay Jog & Bruce J. McConomy, 2003. "Voluntary Disclosure of Management Earnings Forecasts in IPO Prospectuses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1-2), pages 125-168.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-387, May.
- T.Y. Cheng & Michael Firth, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of the Bias and Rationality of Profit Forecasts Published in New Issue Prospectuses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 423-446.
- T.Y. Cheng & Michael Firth, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of the Bias and Rationality of Profit Forecasts Published in New Issue Prospectuses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 423-446.
- Alain Schatt & Thierry Roy, 2002. "Analyse Empirique Des Ecarts De Previsions De Benefices Dans Les Prospectus D'Introduction : Le Cas Francais," Post-Print halshs-00584529, HAL.
- Mak, Y. T., 1996. "Forecast disclosure by initial public offering firms in a low-litigation environment," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-136.
- Michael Firth, 1998. "IPO profit forecasts and their role in signalling firm value and explaining post-listing returns," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 29-39.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.