Les déterminants de la communication volontaire des entreprises cibles d'OPA/OPE : le cas des synergies
This study aims at identifying determinants of voluntary disclosure of information for the target companies in takeover bids. We take here the case of synergies expected from the deal. The empirical study is based on a sample of 98 takeover bids during the period 1999 to 2010. The results show that 35% of the target companies voluntarily disclose information about synergies. Among the characteristics of offer, the mean of payment play a determining role. In terms of target companies' characteristics, the geographical distance with initiator, the size, the non-overlapping mandates of CEO and Chairman of the Board and the target companies' ownership detained by initiator are explanatory factors of such disclosure.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Comptabilités, économie et société, May 2011, Montpellier, France. pp.cd-rom, 2011|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00650551|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Firth, 1998. "IPO profit forecasts and their role in signalling firm value and explaining post-listing returns," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 29-39.
- Philip Brown, 2003. "Discussion of Voluntary Disclosure of Management Earnings Forecasts in IPO Prospectuses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1-2), pages 169-174.
- Michel Albouy, 2005. "Les histoires qu'on raconte aux actionnaires," Post-Print halshs-00101873, HAL.
- P. S. Sudarsanam, 1995. "The role of defensive strategies and ownership structure of target firms: Evidence from UK hostile takeover bids," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(3), pages 223-240.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/9191 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Yin Chan, Anthony Moung & Kam Sit, Cora Luk & Li Tong, Millie Mei & Kit Wong, Daphne Chi & Yiu Chan, Ricko Wai, 1996. "Possible factors of the accuracy of prospectus earnings forecast in Hong Kong," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 381-398.
- Inderpal Singh & J--L W. Mitchell Van der Zahn, 2008. "Determinants of intellectual capital disclosure in prospectuses of initial public offerings," Accounting and Business Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 409-431, April.
- Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1987. " Corporate Takeover Bids, Methods of Payment, and Bidding Firms' Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 943-63, September.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "Managerial control of voting rights : Financing policies and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 25-54, January.
- Niamh Brennan, 1999. "Voluntary Disclosure of Profit Forecasts by Target Companies in Takeover Bids," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(7&8), pages 883-917.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny, 2007.
"Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses: an empirical analysis,"
Review of Accounting and Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(2), pages 131-149, July.
- Cazavan-Jeny , Anne & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2006. "Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses: an empirical analysis," ESSEC Working Papers DR 06001, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Anne Cazavan-Jeny, 2/21. "Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses: An empirical analysis," Working Papers hal-00586546, HAL.
- Jeanjean, Thomas & Cazavan-Jeny, Anne, 2005. "Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses : an empirical analysis," Les Cahiers de Recherche 827, HEC Paris.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2007. "Levels of voluntary disclosure in IPO prospectuses: An empirical analysis," Post-Print halshs-00170565, HAL.
- Emmanuel Tchemeni & Huu Minh Mai, 1997. "Prévision de résultats par les dirigeants. Impact informationnel sur les cours et les volumes," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 48(1), pages 123-145.
- Vijay Jog & Bruce J. McConomy, 2003. "Voluntary Disclosure of Management Earnings Forecasts in IPO Prospectuses," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1-2), pages 125-168.
- Alain Schatt & Thierry Roy, 2002. "Analyse Empirique Des Ecarts De Previsions De Benefices Dans Les Prospectus D'Introduction : Le Cas Francais," Post-Print halshs-00584529, HAL.
- Bernard Raffournier, 1995. "The determinants of voluntary financial disclosure by Swiss listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 261-280.
- Chau, Gerald K. & Gray, Sidney J., 2002. "Ownership structure and corporate voluntary disclosure in Hong Kong and Singapore," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 247-265.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jaggi, Bikki, 1997. "Accuracy of forecast information disclosed in the IPO prospectuses of Hong Kong companies," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 301-319.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Krishnan, Gopal V., 2001. "Earnings forecast errors in IPO prospectuses and their associations with initial stock returns," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 225-240, April.
- Franck Missonier-Piera & Walid Ben-Amar, 2005. "La Gestion Des Resultats Comptables Lors Des Fusions Et Acquisitions: Une Analyse Dans Le Contexte Suisse," Post-Print halshs-00581249, HAL.
- Eng, L. L. & Mak, Y. T., 2003. "Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-345.
- Dulacha G. Barako & Phil Hancock & H. Y. Izan, 2006. "Factors Influencing Voluntary Corporate Disclosure by Kenyan Companies," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 107-125, 03.
- Cormier, Denis & Martinez, Isabelle, 2006. "The association between management earnings forecasts, earnings management, and stock market valuation: Evidence from French IPOs," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 209-236.
- Martin, Kenneth J & McConnell, John J, 1991. " Corporate Performance, Corporate Takeovers, and Management Turnover," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 671-87, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00650551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.