Indulgent angels or stingy venture capitalists? The entrepreneurs' choice
This paper studies entrepreneurs' choice of investors, who must provide financial capital and effort for projects with externalities. Venture capitalists (VCs) and individual investors (angels) compete to finance the projects. VCs seek to invest into a portfolio of projects, while angels have more slack in how much they invest into one project. In the presence of externalities between projects, VCs can potentially increase the total value of their investment portfolio through better coordination of investment, while some angels behave indulgently and give more financial investment than necessary, earning zero profits in equilibrium. Surprisingly, externalities do not give VCs as much of an advantage as one would expect. Quite often VCs lose out to angels even when this means that some projects will not receive an optimal amount of effort. In the projects they invest in, VCs always make strictly positive profits despite the competition.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:2:p:337-388 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gorman, Michael & Sahlman, William A., 1989. "What do venture capitalists do?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 231-248, July.
- Kanniainen, V. & Keuschnigg, C., 2000.
"The Optimal Portfolio of Start-up Firms in Venture Capital Finance,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
486, Department of Economics.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Keuschnigg, Christian, 2003. "The optimal portfolio of start-up firms in venture capital finance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 521-534, November.
- Vesa Kanniainen & Christian Keuschnigg, 2000. "The Optimal Portfolio of Start-Up Firms in Venture Capital Finance," CESifo Working Paper Series 381, CESifo Group Munich.
- Repullo, R. & Suarez, J., 1998.
"Venture Capital Finance: a Security Design Approach,"
9804, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2004. "Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 75-108.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 1999. "Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2097, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Chiesa Gabriella, 1995. "Proprietary Information, Financial Intermediation, and Research Incentives," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 328-357, October.
- Casamatta, Catherine, 2002.
"Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Catherine Casamatta, 2003. "Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2059-2086, October.
- Ueda, Masako, 2002.
"Banks versus Venture Capital,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3411, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prowse, Stephen, 1998. "Angel investors and the market for angel investments," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 785-792, August.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 2000. "R&D cooperation and product market competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1033-1047, October.
- Ehrlich, Sanford B. & De Noble, Alex F. & Moore, Tracy & Weaver, Richard R., 1994. "After the cash arrives: A comparative study of venture capital and private investor involvement in entrepreneurial firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 67-82, January.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.