Screening and advising by a venture capitalist with a time constraint
This paper proposes an intertemporal model of venture capital investment with screening and advising where the venture capitalists time endowment is the scarce input factor. Screening improves the selection of firms receiving finance, advising allows firms to develop a marketable product, both have a variable intensity. In our setup, optimal linear contracts solves the moral hazard problem. Screening however asks for an entrepreneur wage and does not allow for upfront payments which would cause severe adverse selection. Project characteristics have implications for screening and advising intensity and the distribution of profits. Finally, we develop a formal version of the venture capital cycle by extending the basic setup to a simple model of venture capital supply and demand.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main|
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Casamatta, 2003.
"Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2059-2086, October.
- Casamatta, Catherine, 2002. "Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists," CEPR Discussion Papers 3475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Keuschnigg, Christian, 2004.
"Start-up investment with scarce venture capital support,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1935-1959, August.
- Kanniainen, V. & Keuschnigg, C., 2001. "Start-up Investment With Scarce Venture Capital Support," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 503, Department of Economics.
- Vesa Kanniainen & Christian Keuschnigg, 2001. "Start-Up Investment with Scarce Venture Capital Support," CESifo Working Paper Series 439, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Keuschnigg, 2002. "Start-Up Investment With Scarce Venture Capital Support," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2002 2002-03, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Michelacci, Claudio & Suarez, Javier, 2002.
"Business Creation and the Stock Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michelacci, C. & Suarez, J., 2000. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," Papers 0009, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Claudio Michelacci & Javier Suarez, 2000. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0673, Econometric Society.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2004.
"Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach,"
Review of Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 75-108.
- Repullo, R. & Suarez, J., 1998. "Venture Capital Finance: a Security Design Approach," Papers 9804, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 1999. "Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2097, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gorman, Michael & Sahlman, William A., 1989. "What do venture capitalists do?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 231-248, July.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Thomas Gehrig & Rune Stenbacka, 2003. "Venture Cycles: Theory and Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 882, CESifo Group Munich.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1979. "Market Structure and Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 395-410.
- Masako Ueda, 2004. "Banks versus Venture Capital: Project Evaluation, Screening, and Expropriation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 601-621, 04.
- Tom Lee & Louis L. Wilde, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-436.
- Glen L. Urban & Theresa Carter & Steven Gaskin & Zofia Mucha, 1986. "Market Share Rewards to Pioneering Brands: An Empirical Analysis and Strategic Implications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(6), pages 645-659, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:200348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.