Screening and advising by a venture capitalist with a time constraint
This paper proposes an intertemporal model of venture capital investment with screening and advising where the venture capitalist's time endowment is the scarce input factor. Screening improves the selection of firms receiving finance, advising allows firms to develop a marketable product, both have a variable intensity. In our setup, optimal linear contracts solves the moral hazard problem. Screening however asks for an entrepreneur wage and does not allow for upfront payments which would cause severe adverse selection. Project characteristics have implications for screening and advising intensity and the distribution of profits. Finally, we develop a formal version of the 'venture capital cycle' by extending the basic setup to a simple model of venture capital supply and demand.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main|
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gorman, Michael & Sahlman, William A., 1989. "What do venture capitalists do?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 231-248, July.
- Michelacci, C. & Suarez, J., 2000.
"Business Creation and the Stock Market,"
0009, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Claudio Michelacci & Javier Suarez, 2000. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0673, Econometric Society.
- Michelacci, Claudio & Suarez, Javier, 2002. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2004.
"Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 8(1), pages 75-108.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2004. "Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 75-108.
- Repullo, R. & Suarez, J., 1998. "Venture Capital Finance: a Security Design Approach," Papers 9804, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 1999. "Venture Capital Finance: A Security Design Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2097, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tom Lee & Louis L. Wilde, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-436.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Vesa Kanniainen & Christian Keuschnigg, 2001.
"Start-Up Investment with Scarce Venture Capital Support,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
439, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Keuschnigg, Christian, 2004. "Start-up investment with scarce venture capital support," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1935-1959, August.
- Christian Keuschnigg, 2002. "Start-Up Investment With Scarce Venture Capital Support," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2002 2002-03, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Kanniainen, V. & Keuschnigg, C., 2001. "Start-up Investment With Scarce Venture Capital Support," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 503, Department of Economics.
- Catherine Casamatta, 2003.
"Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2059-2086, October.
- Casamatta, Catherine, 2002. "Financing and Advising: Optimal Financial Contracts with Venture Capitalists," CEPR Discussion Papers 3475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Gehrig & Rune Stenbacka, 2003. "Venture Cycles: Theory and Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 882, CESifo Group Munich.
- Masako Ueda, 2004. "Banks versus Venture Capital: Project Evaluation, Screening, and Expropriation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 601-621, 04.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-984.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1976.
"Market Structure and Innovation,"
256, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glen L. Urban & Theresa Carter & Steven Gaskin & Zofia Mucha, 1986. "Market Share Rewards to Pioneering Brands: An Empirical Analysis and Strategic Implications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(6), pages 645-659, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:200348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.