Determinants of Export Performance in the Philippine Manufacturing Sector
The paper determines the factors affecting the export performance of firms in three main manufacturing sectors in the Philippines. Specifically, firm-level characteristics like firm size, firm age and foreign affiliation are identified and statistically tested to determine if it affects a firms capability to export. The study uses a novel econometric model which specifically addresses fractional response behavior and estimates the model using a modified quasi-maximum likelihood procedure. Among the firm-level characteristics tested, foreign affiliation has the most prominent influence on a firms propensity to export.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Montobbio Fabio & Rampa Francesco, 2002.
"The impact of technology and structural change on export performance on nine developing coutries,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf0219, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Montobbio, Fabio & Rampa, Francesco, 2005. "The impact of technology and structural change on export performance in nine developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 527-547, April.
- Dijk, van M., 2001. "The Determinants of Export Performance in Developing Countries: The Case of Indonesian Manufacturing," Working Papers 02.01, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Pante, Filologo Jr., 1990. "The Philippine Industrial Sector: Policies, Programs and Performance," Working Papers WP 1990-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2001. "The determinants of export performance: A firm-level study of Italian manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 137(3), pages 450-472, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:microe:22042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.