An integrated evaluation scheme of innovation systems from an institutional perspective
This paper aims at proposing an original framework for the mapping of innovation systems. The analytical outline is based on the following paradigm: the innovation process has commonly been accepted as a complex system of interactions between different institutions aimed to achieve specific objectives through the efficient implementation of public instruments. More specifically, the objective of this paper consists, in a first step, in identifying and defining these innovation concepts. In a second step, the STI mapping is evaluated by crossing the STI objectives, instruments and institutional actors into four functional matrices that should all together empirically depict the innovation system. In order to strengthen the validity of the approach, an empirical example implemented at the EU-15 level is presented. The approach is based on the respect of the four following criteria: 1) international comparability of results; 2) representativeness of results; 3) measurement issues; and 4) consistency of the approach.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by: ULB, DULBEA|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Dosi & Christopher Freeman & Richard Nelson & Gerarld Silverberg & Luc Soete (ed.), 1988. "Technical Change and Economic Theory," LEM Book Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy, number dosietal-1988, August.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Lundvall, Bengt-Ake & Johnson, Bjorn & Andersen, Esben Sloth & Dalum, Bent, 2002. "National systems of production, innovation and competence building," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 213-231, February.
- Georghiou, Luke & Roessner, David, 2000. "Evaluating technology programs: tools and methods," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 657-678, April.
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2003.
"Complementarities in Innovation Policy,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Mohnen,Pierre & Roeller,Lars-Hendrik, 2003. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2000. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-18, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-28, CIRANO.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2712, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niosi, Jorge, 2002. "National systems of innovations are "x-efficient" (and x-effective): Why some are slow learners," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 291-302, February.
- Michele Cincera & Henri Capron, 2001. "Assessing the Institutional Set-up of National Innovation Systems," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147105, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Michele Cincera & Henri Capron & Michel Dumont, 2000. "The Institutional Profile," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147107, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1969. "Information and Efficiency: Another Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Kingsley, Gordon & Bozeman, Barrt & Coker, Karen, 1996. "Technology transfer and absorption: an 'R & D value-mapping' approach to evaluation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 967-995, September.
- Bozeman, Barry, 2000. "Technology transfer and public policy: a review of research and theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 627-655, April.
- Carlsson, Bo & Jacobsson, Staffan & Holmen, Magnus & Rickne, Annika, 2002. "Innovation systems: analytical and methodological issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 233-245, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dul:wpaper:06-09rs. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.