Economic Impact Assessment of Climate Change: A Multi-Gas Investigation with WIAGEM-GTAPEL-ICM
Climate change is a long-term issue due to the long lifespan of greenhouse gases and the delayed response of the climate system. This paper investigates the long-term economic consequences of both climate change impacts and mitigation efforts by applying the multi-regional, multi-sectoral integrated assessment model WIAGEM based on GTAP-EL coupled with the reduced-form multi-gas climate model ICM. We investigate emissions reduction paths to reach a radiative forcing target of 4.5 w /m^2. Economic impacts are studied and compared with and without the inclusion of all GHG gases. We find that multi-gas emissions reduction causes less economic losses compared with a case where only CO2 emissions reductions would be considered.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Robert Shackleton & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 1998.
"What to Expect from an International System of Tradable Permits for Carbon Emmisions,"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
9804, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Shackleton, Robert & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1999. "What to expect from an international system of tradable permits for carbon emissions," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 319-346, August.
- Babiker, Mustafa & Reilly, John M. & Jacoby, Henry D., 2000. "The Kyoto Protocol and developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 525-536, July.
- Oliver Deke & Kurt Georg Hooss & Christiane Kasten & Gernot Klepper & Katrin Springer, 2001. "Economic Impact of Climate Change: Simulations with a Regionalized Climate-Economy Model," Kiel Working Papers 1065, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Richard Tol, 2002. "Estimates of the Damage Costs of Climate Change. Part 1: Benchmark Estimates," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(1), pages 47-73, January.
- Burniaux, Jean-Marc & Truong Truong, 2002. "GTAP-E: An Energy-Environmental Version of the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 923, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2001. "The liability rules under international GHG emissions trading," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 501-508, June.
- Paul M. Bernstein & W. David Montgomery & Thomas F. Rutherford & Gui-Fang Yang, 1999. "Effects of Restrictions on International Permit Trading: The MS-MRT Model," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 221-256.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.