Riding the Transition Roller-Coaster: Flexibility and the Inter-Industry Wage Structure in Russia
This paper examines the changes in the inter-industry wage structure experienced by Russia since 1993, as part of its transition from a plan-based economy to a more \market oriented" structure. Using two Russian household panel data sets, the RLMS and the RUSSET, we _nd that since the transformation process began, the dispersion of inter-industry wage structure has increased. Moreover, Russia exhibits large movements in wage premia, as industries respond to massively changing demand conditions. The issue of wage arrears (unpaid wages or outstanding pay), which a_ects half of all employees, plays an important role in the determination of wages. Studies, which do not account for wage arrears, overestimate the overall inter-industry wage dispersion. Despite movements towards a privatized market economy, we still _nd government ownership and Soviet network e_ects play an important role in determining the wage structure.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael P. Keane, 1991.
"Individual heterogeneity and interindustry wage differentials,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
54, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michael P. Keane, 1993. "Individual Heterogeneity and Interindustry Wage Differentials," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 134-161.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2000.
"Interindustry and Interregion Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(3), pages 516-521, August.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, . "Inter-Industry and Inter-Region Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation," Working Papers 9504, SELAPO Center for Human Resources.
- Weiss, Y. & Sauer, R.M. & Gotlibovski, M., 1999.
"Immigration, Search and Lost of Skill,"
26-99, Tel Aviv.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1999.
"Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation,"
CERT Discussion Papers
9907, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 595-617, December.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1998. "Grime and punishment: job insecurity and wage arrears in the Russian Federation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20251, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Asquisti, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," LICOS Discussion Papers 7999, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- A Aquisti & H Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth, 1998. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0403, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti,Alessandro, 1998. "Grime And Punishment: Job Insecurity And Wage Arrears in The Russian Federation," Economics Technical Papers 986, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Adrian Mander & David Clayton, 2000. "Hotdeck imputation," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(51).
- Kevin M. Murphy & Finis Welch, 1992. "The Structure of Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 285-326.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 9/10. "Grime and Punishment: Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," IZA Discussion Papers 65, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 515-535.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?," NBER Working Papers 3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- G. Alfandari & M.E. Schaffer, 1996. ""Arrears" in the Russian Enterprise Sector," CERT Discussion Papers 9608, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Bird, Edward J. & Frick, Joachim R. & Wagner, Gert G., 1998. "The Income of Socialist Upper Classes during the Transition to Capitalism: Evidence from Longitudinal East German Data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 211-225, June.
- Newell, Andrew & Reilly, Barry, 1996. "The gender wage gap in Russia: Some empirical evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 337-356, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.