Riding the Transition Roller-Coaster: Flexibility and the Inter-Industry Wage Structure in Russia
This paper examines the changes in the inter-industry wage structure experienced by Russia since 1993, as part of its transition from a plan-based economy to a more \market oriented" structure. Using two Russian household panel data sets, the RLMS and the RUSSET, we _nd that since the transformation process began, the dispersion of inter-industry wage structure has increased. Moreover, Russia exhibits large movements in wage premia, as industries respond to massively changing demand conditions. The issue of wage arrears (unpaid wages or outstanding pay), which a_ects half of all employees, plays an important role in the determination of wages. Studies, which do not account for wage arrears, overestimate the overall inter-industry wage dispersion. Despite movements towards a privatized market economy, we still _nd government ownership and Soviet network e_ects play an important role in determining the wage structure.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, .
"Inter-Industry and Inter-Region Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation,"
9504, SELAPO Center for Human Resources.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2000. "Interindustry and Interregion Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(3), pages 516-521, August.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- A Aquisti & H Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth, 1998.
"Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0403, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 595-617, December.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti,Alessandro, 1998. "Grime And Punishment: Job Insecurity And Wage Arrears in The Russian Federation," Economics Technical Papers 986, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Asquisti, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," LICOS Discussion Papers 7999, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1998. "Grime and punishment: job insecurity and wage arrears in the Russian Federation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20251, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," CERT Discussion Papers 9907, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Michael P. Keane, 1993.
"Individual Heterogeneity and Interindustry Wage Differentials,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 134-161.
- Michael P. Keane, 1991. "Individual heterogeneity and interindustry wage differentials," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 54, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Weiss, Y. & Sauer, R.M. & Gotlibovski, M., 1999.
"Immigration, Search and Lost of Skill,"
26-99, Tel Aviv.
- Newell, Andrew & Reilly, Barry, 1996. "The gender wage gap in Russia: Some empirical evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 337-356, October.
- G. Alfandari & M.E. Schaffer, 1996. ""Arrears" in the Russian Enterprise Sector," CERT Discussion Papers 9608, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Welch, Finis, 1992. "The Structure of Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 285-326, February.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-industry Wage Differentials?,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 515-35, July.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?," NBER Working Papers 3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrian Mander & David Clayton, 2000. "Hotdeck imputation," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(51).
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," IZA Discussion Papers 65, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bird, Edward J. & Frick, Joachim R. & Wagner, Gert G., 1998. "The Income of Socialist Upper Classes during the Transition to Capitalism: Evidence from Longitudinal East German Data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 211-225, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.