Public Investment Policy, Distribution, and Growth: What Levels of Redistribution through Public Investment Maximize Growth?
This paper studies the distributional and the growth effects of public investment in a simple growth model with incomplete market where both growth and inequality are endogenously determined. Taxation lowers growth through distorting private investment, whereas public investment stimulates long run growth. Higher inequality corresponds to lower growth when the credit and insurance markets are missing as these prevent the efficient amount of investment to be undertaken in the economy. In this case, public investment may have additional efficiency benefit through substituting for the missing markets. It serves as means to relax resource constraints that impede certain investment. The efficiency effect of complementary public investment, on the other hand, is compromised as it aggravates it.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & GarcÃa-PeÃ±alosa, Cecilia, 1999.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories,"
12502063, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Cecilia Garcia-Penalosa & Eve Caroli & Philippe Aghion, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1615-1660, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia, 1999. "Inequality and economic growth: the perspective of the new growth theories," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9908, CEPREMAP.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2004.
"Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 87-106, 03.
- César Calderón & Alberto E. Chong, 2001. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6484, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alberto Chong & César Calderón, 2001. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," Research Department Publications 4263, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Andreas Irmen, 2010.
"Steady-State Growth and the Elasticity of Substitution,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
10-21, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Irmen, Andreas, 2011. "Steady-state growth and the elasticity of substitution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1215-1228, August.
- Andreas Irmen, 2010. "Steady-State Growth and the Elasticity of Substitution," CESifo Working Paper Series 2955, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Irmen, 2011. "Steady-state growth and the elasticity of substitution," Post-Print hal-00828979, HAL.
- Irmen, Andreas, 2010. "Steady-State Growth and the Elasticity of Substitution," Working Papers 0496, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Nigel James Miller & Christopher Tsoukis, 2001. "On the optimality of public capital for long-run economic growth: evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1117-1129.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles & Verdier, Thierry, 1992.
"Education, Democracy and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Irmen & Rainer Klump, 2007.
"Factor Substitution, Income Distribution, and Growth in a Generalized Neoclassical Model,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2148, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Irmen & Rainer Klump, 2009. "Factor Substitution, Income Distribution and Growth in a Generalized Neoclassical Model," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 464-479, November.
- Andreas Irmen & Rainer Klump, 2007. "Factor Substitution, Income Distribution, and Growth in a Generalized Neoclassical Model," Working Papers 0453, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2007.
- Claude Diebolt & Faustine Perrin, 2014. "Growth Theories," Working Papers 02-14, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Kaz Miyagiwa & Chris Papageorgiou, 2003.
"Elasticity of substitution and growth: normalized CES in the Diamond model,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(1), pages 155-165, 01.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Kaz Miyagiwa, "undated". "Elasticity of Substitution and Growth: Normalized CES in the Diamond Model," Departmental Working Papers 2001-05, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Antonio Estache & V. Foster & Q. Wodon, 2002. "Accounting for Poverty in Infrastructure Reform: Learning from Latin America's Experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44108, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pirttila, Jukka & Tuomala, Matti, 2002.
" Publicly Provided Private Goods and Redistribution: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(1), pages 173-188.
- Jukka Pirttilä & Matti Tuomala, 2001. "Publicly provided private goods and redistribution: A General equilibrium analysis," Working Papers 0103, University of Tampere, School of Management, Economics.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B, 1992. "Public versus Private Investment in Human Capital Endogenous Growth and Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 818-834, August.
- Kamps, Christophe, 2005. "Is there a lack of public capital in the European Union?," EIB Papers 3/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B., 2003. "Public education and income inequality," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 289-300, June.
- Zhang, Jie, 1996. " Optimal Public Investments in Education and Endogenous Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(3), pages 387-404.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Futagami, Koichi & Morita, Yuichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1993. " Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Public Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 607-625, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c016_072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.