The Strategic Impact of Higher-Order Beliefs
Previous research has established that the predictions made by game theory about strategic behavior in incomplete information games are quite sensitive to the assumptions made about the players' infinite hierarchies of beliefs. We evaluate the severity of this robustness problem by characterizing conditions on the primitives of the model -- the players’ hierarchies of beliefs -- for the strategic behavior of a given Harsanyi type to be approximated by the strategic behavior of (a sequence of) perturbed types. This amounts to providing characterizations of the strategic topologies of Dekel, Fudenberg, and Morris (2006) in terms of beliefs. We apply our characterizations to a variety of questions concerning robustness to perturbations of higher-order beliefs, including genericity of common priors, and the connections between robustness of strategic behavior and the notion of common p-belief of Monderer and Samet (1989).
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1987.
"Rationalizability and Correlated Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1391-1402, November.
- Dirk Bergemann & Stephen Morris, 2009.
"Robust Implementation in Direct Mechanisms,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
814577000000000109, David K. Levine.
- Morris, Stephen & Dekel, Eddie & Fudenberg, Drew, 2007.
"Interim Correlated Rationalizability,"
3196333, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yi-Chun Chen & Alfredo Di Tillio & Eduardo Faingold & Siyang Xiong, 2009.
"Uniform Topologies on Types,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1734, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Aviad Heifetz & Zvika Neeman, 2004.
"On the Generic (Im)possibility of Full Surplus Extraction in Mechanism Design,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp350, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Aviad Heifetz & Zvika Neeman, 2006. "On the Generic (Im)Possibility of Full Surplus Extraction in Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 213-233, 01.
- Brandenburger Adam & Dekel Eddie, 1993.
"Hierarchies of Beliefs and Common Knowledge,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 189-198, February.
- Jonathan Weinstein & Muhamet Yildiz, 2007. "A Structure Theorem for Rationalizability with Application to Robust Predictions of Refinements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 365-400, 03.
- Zvika Neeman, 1993. "A Note on Approximating Agreeing to Disagree Results with Common p-Beliefs," Discussion Papers 1029, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1875. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.