From Nash to Walras via Shapley-Shubik
We derive the existence of a Walras equilibrium directly from Nash's theorem on noncooperative games. No price player is involved, nor are generalized games. Instead we use a variant of the Shapley-Shubik trading-post game.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Mathematical Economics (2003), 39: 391-400|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Hurwicz, 1979. "Outcome Functions Yielding Walrasian and Lindahl Allocations at Nash Equilibrium Points," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 217-225.
- Amir, Rabah & Sahi, Siddharta & Shubik, Martin & Yao, Shuntian, 1990.
"A strategic market game with complete markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 126-143, June.
- Rabah Amir & Siddhartha Sahi & Martin Shubik, 1986. "A Strategic Market Game with Complete Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 814R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Sorin, Sylvain, 1996. "Strategic Market Games with Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 431-446, May.
- Sorin, S., 1994. "Strategic Market Games with Exchange Rates," Papers 9411, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Postlewaite, A & Schmeidler, David, 1978. "Approximate Efficiency of Non-Walrasian Nash Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 127-135, January.
- Florig, Michael, 2001. "Hierarchic competitive equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 515-546, July.
- Mertens, J. F., 2003. "The limit-price mechanism," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 433-528, July.
- MERTENS , Jean-François, 1996. "The limit-price mechanism," CORE Discussion Papers 1996050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dubey, Pradeep, 1982. "Price-Quantity Strategic Market Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 111-126, January.
- Pradeep Dubey, 1979. "Price-Quantity Strategic Market Games," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 520, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Schmeidler, David, 1980. "Walrasian Analysis via Strategic Outcome Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1585-1593, November.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-968, October.
- Gerard Debreu, 1961. "New Concepts and Techniques for Equilibrium Analysis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 129, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jaynes, Gerald David & Okuno, Masahiro & Schmeidler, David, 1978. "Efficiency in an Atomless Economy with Fiat Money," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(1), pages 149-156, February.
- Danilov, V. I. & Sotskov, A. I., 1990. "A generalized economic equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 341-356. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)