Impact of Selective Reductions in Labor Taxation
To study the impacts of reductions in employer’s social security contributions, we construct an intertemporal general equilibrium model with different types of workers (and wages), search unemployment and endogenous job destruction rates. Our model reproduces the empirical evidence that the impacts on employment, of reductions in contributions at the minimum wage level, go through a decrease in job destructions rather than an increase in job creations. We moreover find that, although it is prejudical to average productivity, reductions targeted at the minimum wage create much more net employment than reductions targeted at other wages.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cockx, Bart & Dejemeppe, Muriel, 2002.
"Do the Higher Educated Unemployed Crowd Out the Lower Educated Ones in a Competition for Jobs?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
541, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bat COCKX & Muriel DEJEMEPPE, 2002. "Do the Higher Educated Unemployed Crowd out the Lower Educated Ones in a Competition for Jobs ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Wasmer, Etienne, 2001. "Labor Market Flows and Equilibrium Search Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 406, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holmlund, B., 1997.
"Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Blundell, Richard & Macurdy, Thomas, 1999.
"Labor supply: A review of alternative approaches,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1559-1695
- Pierre Cahuc, 2003. "Baisser les charges sociales, jusqu'où et comment ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(3), pages 3-54.
- Kramarz, Francis & Philippon, Thomas, 2000.
"The Impact of Differential Payroll Tax Subsidies on Minimum Wage Employment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
219, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kramarz, Francis & Philippon, Thomas, 2001. "The impact of differential payroll tax subsidies on minimum wage employment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 115-146, October.
- Francis Kramarz & Thomas Philippon, 2000. "The Impact of Differenctial Payroll Tax Subsidies on Minimum Wage Employment," Working Papers 2000-10, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Andolfatto, David, 1996. "Business Cycles and Labor-Market Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 112-32, March.
- Manacorda, Marco & Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999.
"Skill Mismatch and Unemployment in OECD Countries,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 181-207, May.
- Engstrom, P. & Holmlund, B. & Kolm, A.-S., 2001.
"Optimal Taxation in Search Equilibrium with Home Production,"
2001:19, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Bertil Holmlund & Ann-Sofie Kolm, 2001. "Optimal Taxation in Search Equilibrium with Home Production," CESifo Working Paper Series 613, CESifo Group Munich.
- Engström, Per & Holmlund, Bertil & Kolm, Ann-Sofie, 2001. "Optimal Taxation in Search Equilibrium with Home Production," Working Paper Series 2001:19, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph, G. & Pierrard, O. & Sneessens, H. R., 2004.
"Job turnover, unemployment and labor market institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 451-468, August.
- Gilles, Joseph & Olivier Pierrard & Henri R. Sneessens, 2003. "Job Turnover, Unemployment and Labor Market Institutions," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003013, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Joseph, Gilles & Pierrard, Olivier & Sneessens, Henri R., 2003. "Job Turnover, Unemployment and Labor Market Institutions," IZA Discussion Papers 835, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Garibaldi, Pietro, 1998.
"Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 245-275, February.
- Merz, Monika, 1995. "Search in the labor market and the real business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 269-300, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2004035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.