Asymmetric effects of oil price fluctuations in international stock markets
New evidence on the way oil price fluctuations affect international stock markets is provided in analysis of the exposure of 43 stock markets. Oil price spikes depress international stock markets, but oil price drops do not necessarily increase stock market returns. Moreover, the volatility of oil prices has a negative impact on international stock market returns. Both these effects apply only to stock markets of developed countries. Emerging market returns are not sensitive to oil price variations. In addition, the asymmetry of oil price changes impacts oil volatility; i.e., when oil prices soar, oil volatility also increases, while negative oil price changes dampen volatility. Finally, oil price fluctuations are a factor in creating downside risk for international country investment.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2002.
"Are Financial Assets Priced Locally or Globally?,"
NBER Working Papers
8994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam, 1996. " Oil and the Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 463-91, June.
- Mork, Knut Anton, 1989. "Oil and Macroeconomy When Prices Go Up and Down: An Extension of Hamilton's Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 740-44, June.
- Leonid Kogan & Dmitry Livdan & Amir Yaron, 2008.
"Oil Futures Prices in a Production Economy With Investment Constraints,"
0803, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Leonid Kogan & Dmitry Livdan & Amir Yaron, 2009. "Oil Futures Prices in a Production Economy with Investment Constraints," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(3), pages 1345-1375, 06.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1994.
"Sources of risk and expected returns in global equity markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 775-803, September.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "Sources of Risk and Expected Returns in Global Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 4622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," NBER Working Papers 11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solnik, B H, 1974. "The International Pricing of Risk: An Empirical Investigation of the World Capital Market Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 365-78, May.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Meligkotsidou, Loukia & Vrontos, Ioannis D. & Vrontos, Spyridon D., 2009. "Quantile regression analysis of hedge fund strategies," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 264-279, March.
- Peter Ferderer, J., 1996. "Oil price volatility and the macroeconomy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-26.
- Francesca Carrieri & Basma Majerbi, 2006. "The pricing of exchange risk in emerging stock markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 372-391, May.
- Knut Anton Mork & Oystein Olsen & Hans Terje Mysen, 1994. "Macroeconomic Responses to Oil Price Increases and Decreases in Seven OECD Countries," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 19-36.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1993.
"An Exploratory Investigation of the Fundamental Determinants of National Equity Market Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
4595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "An Exploratory Investigation of the Fundamental Determinants of National Equity Market Returns," NBER Chapters, in: The Internationalization of Equity Markets, pages 59-147 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nathan S. Balke & Stephen P. A. Brown & Mine Yücel, 1999.
"Oil price shocks and the U.S. economy: where does the asymmetry originate?,"
9911, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Nathan S. Balke & Stephen P.A. Brown & Mine K. Yucel, 2002. "Oil Price Shocks and the U.S. Economy: Where Does the Asymmetry Originate?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 27-52.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws100904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.