GARCH models with leverage effect : differences and similarities
In this paper, we compare the statistical properties of some of the most popular GARCH models with leverage e?ect when their parameters satisfy the positivity, stationarity and nite fourth order moment restrictions. We show that the EGARCH speci cation is the most exible while the GJR model may have important limitations when restricted to have nite kurtosis. On the other hand, we show empirically that the conditional standard deviations estimated by the TGARCH and EGARCH models are almost identical and very similar to those estimated by the APARCH model. However, the estimates of the QGARCH and GJR models di?er among them and with respect to the other three speci cations.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Awartani, Basel M.A. & Corradi, Valentina, 2005. "Predicting the volatility of the S&P-500 stock index via GARCH models: the role of asymmetries," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 167-183.
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L., 2008.
"Box-Cox stochastic volatility models with heavy-tails and correlated errors,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 549-566, June.
- Xibin Zhang & Maxwell L. King, 2004. "Box-Cox Stochastic Volatility Models with Heavy-Tails and Correlated Errors," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 26/04, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Wu, Guojun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2002. "A generalized partially linear model of asymmetric volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 287-319, August.
- Kawakatsu, Hiroyuki, 2007. "Specification and estimation of discrete time quadratic stochastic volatility models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 424-442, June.
- Karanasos, Menelaos & Kim, Jinki, 2006. "A re-examination of the asymmetric power ARCH model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 113-128, January.
- Veiga, Helena & Ruiz, Esther, 2006.
"Modelling long-memory volatilities with leverage effect: ALMSV versus FIEGARCH,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
ws066016, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Ruiz, Esther & Veiga, Helena, 2008. "Modelling long-memory volatilities with leverage effect: A-LMSV versus FIEGARCH," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2846-2862, February.
- Balaban, Ercan, 2004. "Comparative forecasting performance of symmetric and asymmetric conditional volatility models of an exchange rate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 99-105, April.
- Asger Lunde & Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2001.
"A Forecast Comparison of Volatility Models: Does Anything Beat a GARCH(1,1)?,"
2001-04, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Asger Lunde & Peter R. Hansen, 2005. "A forecast comparison of volatility models: does anything beat a GARCH(1,1)?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 873-889.
- Sentana,E., 1995.
"Quadratic Arch Models,"
9517, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series,"
Research Paper Series
169, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(2), pages 208-230, Spring.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Parameterizing unconditional skewness in models for financial time series," CREATES Research Papers 2008-07, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Hentschel, Ludger, 1995. "All in the family Nesting symmetric and asymmetric GARCH models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 71-104, September.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997. "Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Stelios Arvanitis & Antonis Demos, 2004. "Time Dependence and Moments of a Family of Time-Varying Parameter Garch in Mean Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 1-25, 01.
- M. Angeles Carnero, 2004. "Persistence and Kurtosis in GARCH and Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 319-342.
- So, Mike K P & Li, W K & Lam, K, 2002. "A Threshold Stochastic Volatility Model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 473-500, November.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Geoffrey F. Loudon & Wing H. Watt & Pradeep K. Yadav, 2000. "An empirical analysis of alternative parametric ARCH models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 117-136.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo & Malmsten, Hans, 2002.
"Moment Structure Of A Family Of First-Order Exponential Garch Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(04), pages 868-885, August.
- Changli He & Timo Terasvirta & Hans Malmsten, 1999. "Fourth Moment Structure of a Family of First-Order Exponential GARCH Models," Research Paper Series 29, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- M, El Babsiri & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 1997.
"Contemporaneous Asymmetry in GARCH Processes,"
97-03, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Shephard, Neil, 1996. "Estimation of an Asymmetric Stochastic Volatility Model for Asset Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 429-34, October.
- Antonis Demos, 2002. "Moments and dynamic structure of a time-varying parameter stochastic volatility in mean model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 345-357, 06.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws090302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.