Income inequality in central Spain, 1690-1800
This paper studies the evolution of income inequality in central Spain during the late seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, taking as case study the province of Guadalajara. The first part of the paper presents the sources and the dataset that was created to estimate income inequality using grain tithes. The second section shows that through the period grain represented the lion share of total income and therefore that it can be used as a reliable proxy. The following part of the paper introduces an analysis of income inequality in the province during the period 1690-1800 and concludes that inequality decreased during the last third of the eighteenth century. Finally the paper addresses this unexpected result and concludes that it was consequence of the success of the land reform carried out by the central government in the late 1760s. The reform was a success in Guadalajara thanks to the characteristics of its population and the lack of bargaining power of pressure groups.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/ifEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2000.
"When Did Globalization Begin?,"
NBER Working Papers
7632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H., 1997.
"The European Grain Invasion, 1870–1913,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(04), pages 775-801, December.
- Simpson, James, 1989. "La produccion agraria y el consumo español en el siglo XIX," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 355-388, September.
- Steckel, Richard H. & Moehling, Carolyn M., 2001. "Rising Inequality: Trends In The Distribution Of Wealth In Industrializing New England," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(01), pages 160-183, March.
- Stanley L Engerman & Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 2002.
"Factor Endowments, Inequality, and Paths of Development Among New World Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
9259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stanley L. Engerman & Kenneth Lee Sokoloff, 2002. "Factor Endowments, Inequality, and Paths of Development among New World Economies," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Juan Antonio Lacomba, 1999. "Las desigualdades interiores en Andalucía en perspectiva histórica. Una aproximación," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 2, pages 315-334.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:whrepe:wp10-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.