Two-sided platforms with endogenous quality differentiation
In this paper we construct a simple model of platform price competition with two main novel features. First, platforms endogenously decide the quality of their 'access service' and second, each group exhibits preferences not only about the number of agents in the opposite group, but also about their type or quality. Additionally, sellers also care about the type of agents in their own group. Our interest is to examine the set of conditions under which, in spite of the network externalities, more than one plaftorm coexist in equilibrium. We show that when quality is endogenously determined by the choices of agents these platforms could be asymmetric.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin & Stahl, Konrad, 2004.
CEPR Discussion Papers
4657, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Volker Nocke & Martin Peitz & Konrad Stahl, 2004. "Platform Ownership," PIER Working Paper Archive 04-029, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin & Stahl, Konrad, 2004. "Platform Ownership," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 16, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- David Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms," NBER Working Papers 11603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ettore Damiano & Li Hao, 2008.
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(4), pages 789-818, 06.
- David S. Evans & Andrei Hagiu & Richard Schmalensee, 2004.
"A Survey Of The Economic Role Of Software Platforms In Computer - Based Industries,"
04032, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- David S. Evans & Andrei Hagiu & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "A Survey of the Economic Role of Software Platforms in Computer-based Industries," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 51(2-3), pages 189-224.
- David S. Evans & Andrei Hagiu & Richard Schmalensee, 2004. "A Survey of the Economic Role of Software Platforms in Computer-Based Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1314, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pashigian, B Peter & Gould, Eric D, 1998. "Internalizing Externalities: The Pricing of Space in Shopping Malls," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 115-42, April.
- Basaluzzo, Gabriel & Miravete, Eugenio J, 2007. "Constrained Monopoly Pricing with Random Participation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6620, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2004. "Two-sided markets and price competition with multi-homing," CORE Discussion Papers 2004030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2005. "Lessons About Markets from the Internet," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 139-158, Spring.
- Wright Julian, 2004. "One-sided Logic in Two-sided Markets," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Wright, Julian, 2003. "Optimal card payment systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 587-612, August.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we061204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.