A Water Accounting System for Strategic Water Management
This paper describes a water accounting system (WAS) that has been developed as an innovative new tool for strategic long-term water management. The WAS incorporates both disaggregated water use and availability, provides a comprehensive and consistent historical database, and can integrate climate and hydrological model outputs for the exploration of scenarios. It has been established and tested for the state of Victoria in Australia, and can be extended to cover other or all regions of Australia. The WAS is implemented using stock-and-flow dynamics, currently employing major river basins as the spatial units and a yearly time step. While this system shares features with system dynamics, learning is enhanced and strategic management of water resources is improved by application of a Design Approach and the structure of the WAS. We compare the WAS with other relevant accounting systems and outline its benefits, particularly the potential for resolving tensions between water supply and demand. Integrated management is facilitated by combination with other stocks and flows frameworks that provide data on key drivers such as demography, land-use and electricity production.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gungahlin Homestead, GPO Box 284, Canberra City, ACT 2601|
Phone: (02) 6242 1600
Fax: (02) 6242 1555
Web page: http://www.csiro.au/org/cse
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McAleer, M.J. & Chan, F. & Oxley, L., 2013.
"Modelling and Simulation: An Overview,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI2013-19, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Michael McAleer & Felix Chan & Les Oxley, 2013. "Modelling and Simulation: An Overview," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-069/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael McAleer & Les Oxley & Felix Chan, 2013. "Modelling and Simulation: An Overview," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2013-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Michael McAleer & Felix Chan & Les Oxley, 2013. "Modelling and Simulation: An Overview," KIER Working Papers 865, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael McAleer & Felix Chan & Les Oxley, 2013. "Modeling and Simulation: An Overview," Working Papers in Economics 13/18, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Timothy M Baynes & Graham M Turner & James West, 2009. "Historical Calibration of a Water Account System," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2009-04, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cse:wpaper:2008-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSE-Webrequest)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.