Intra-National Protectionism in China: Evidence from the Public Disclosure of ‘Illegal’ Drug Advertising
This paper provides micro-level evidence that drug advertising regulations and inspections in China are used by local governments to discriminate against firms from outside the province. Furthermore, the degree of discrimination varies across firms in that drug manufacturers which have closer ties with rival provinces are more likely to be targeted. These findings demonstrate that giving provincial governments strong incentives to compete with each other may exacerbate the market distortions inherent in a partially reformed economy such as China.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Road, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: +44-(0)1865 281447
Web page: http://www.csae.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkin, David & Donaldson, Dave, 2015.
"Who’s Getting Globalized? The Size and Implications of Intra-national Trade Costs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
10759, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Atkin & Dave Donaldson, 2015. "Who's Getting Globalized? The Size and Implications of Intra-national Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers 21439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carsten A. Holz, 2009. "No Razor's Edge: Reexamining Alwyn Young's Evidence for Increasing Interprovincial Trade Barriers in China," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 599-616, August.
- Alwyn Young, 2000. "The Razor's Edge: Distortions and Incremental Reform in the People's Republic of China," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1091-1135.
- Brandt, Loren & Van Biesebroeck, Johannes & Zhang, Yifan, 2012.
"Creative accounting or creative destruction? Firm-level productivity growth in Chinese manufacturing,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 339-351.
- Loren Brandt & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Yifan Zhang, 2009. "Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction? Firm-level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 15152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alwyn Young, 2000. "The Razor's Edge: Distortions and Incremental Reform in the People's Republic of China," NBER Working Papers 7828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chong-En Bai & Yingjuan Du & Zhigang Tao & Sarah Y. Tong, 2003.
"Local Protectionism and Regional Specialization: Evidence from China’s Industries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2003-565, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bai, Chong-En & Du, Yingjuan & Tao, Zhigang & Tong, Sarah Y., 2004. "Local protectionism and regional specialization: evidence from China's industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 397-417, July.
- Chen, Ye & Li, Hongbin & Zhou, Li-An, 2005.
"Relative performance evaluation and the turnover of provincial leaders in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 421-425, September.
- Ye Chen & Hongbin Li & Li-An Zhou, 2005. "Relative Performance Evaluation and the Turnover of Provincial Leaders in China," Discussion Papers 00010, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Guriev, Sergei, 2003.
"Red Tape and Corruption,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3972, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Natalia Ramondo & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare & Milagro Saborío-Rodríguez, 2012. "Trade, Domestic Frictions, and Scale Effects," NBER Working Papers 18532, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Li, Hongbin & Zhou, Li-An, 2005. "Political turnover and economic performance: the incentive role of personnel control in China," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1743-1762, September.
- Hongbin Cai & Qiao Liu, 2009. "Competition and Corporate Tax Avoidance: Evidence from Chinese Industrial Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 764-795, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csa:wpaper:2013-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Payne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.