Nonlinear Exchange Rate Adjustment in the Enlarged Eurozone. Evidence and Implications for Candidate Countries
This paper sheds light on the importance of the validity of PPP hypothesis for the accessing process of the candidate countries towards EMU. The evidence of nonlinear adjustment in real exchange rates suggests the estimation of a nonlinear SETAR model. While linear half-life estimates are biased upward (five years on average), SETAR half-life estimates imply a faster reverting process (1.5 years on average). Moreover, we found that TPI-based real exchange rates are more appropriate than CPI-based real exchange rates in testing for PPP hypothesis. For the cluster of EMU countries and for the pre-EMU period, our nonlinear model confirms stationarity for the majority of the TPI-based real exchange rates with half-life estimates less than a year. Copyright © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2003.
"Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro,"
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2007. "Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-16, 02.
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2003. "Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-08, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Sabate, Marcela & Gadea, Maria Dolores & Serrano, Jose Maria, 2003. "PPP and structural breaks. The peseta-sterling rate, 50 years of a floating regime," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 613-627, October.
- Koedijk, C.G. & Tims, B. & van Dijk, M.A., 2004.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Euro Area,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-025-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Jaebeom Kim, 2004. "Half-lives of Deviations from PPP: Contrasting Traded and Nontraded Components of Consumption Baskets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 162-168, 02.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004.
"Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002. "Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitrios A. Sideris, 2007.
"Foreign Exchange Intervention and Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates,"
56, Bank of Greece.
- Sideris, Dimitrios A., 2008. "Foreign exchange intervention and equilibrium real exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 344-357, October.
- Lucio Sarno & Ibrahim Chowdhury, 2003. "The Behaviour of the Real Exchange Rate: Evidence from an Alternative Price Index," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(3), pages 295-333, November.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 436-452, 08.
- Xu, Zhenhui, 2003. "Purchasing power parity, price indices, and exchange rate forcasts," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 105-130, February.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- Masao Ogaki & Jaebeom Kim, 2004.
"Purchasing Power Parity for Traded and Non-traded Goods: A Structural Error Correction Model Approach,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
515, Econometric Society.
- Kim, Jaebeom & Ogaki, Masao, 2004. "Purchasing Power Parity for Traded and Non-traded Goods: A Structural Error Correction Model Approach," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 22(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Sarno, Lucio, 2000. "Real exchange rate behavior in the Middle East: a re-examination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 127-136, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:0718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.