Regime-switching behaviour in European
This paper examines the empirical relationship between five European stock market indices and the US market in a smooth transition regression (STR) framework. Due to globalization of economies the motivation is that the New York market has exerted substantial influence on international markets in post-October 1987 period. The results show that the US market plays indeed an important role and determines stock market asymmetric behaviour in Europe, though non-linearity is not particularly strong.
|Date of creation:||00 Sep 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-879, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rydén, Tobias & Teräsvirta, Timo & Åsbrink, Stefan, 1996.
"Stylized Facts of Daily Return Series and the Hidden Markov Model,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
117, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tobias Rydén & Timo Teräsvirta & Stefan Åsbrink, 1998. "Stylized facts of daily return series and the hidden Markov model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 217-244.
- Skalin, Joakim & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 359-378, July-Aug..
- J. Skalin & T. Teräsvirta, 1996. "Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,96, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Skalin and Terasvirta(1999) STAR models and causality tests," Statistical Software Components RTZ00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1996. "Another Look at Swedish Business Cycles, 1861-1988," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 130, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 2000. "Nonlinear adjustment, long-run equilibrium and exchange rate fundamentals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-53, February.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages 119-136, Suppl. De.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & LeBaron, Blake, 1989. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 311-337, July.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing for Higher Order Serial Correlation in Regression Equations When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1303-1310, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:0202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.