Crescita e vincolo esterno: quali strategie per promuovere stabilità macroeconomica, competitività e investimenti
A high share of foreign currency denomination of domestic public debt in rules out any recourse to inflation tax as an effective adjustment device. Anti- inflation policies based upon hard peg regimes may remove the exchange rate risk in the short run but - as pointed out by Argentina’s currency board crisis at the beginning of the current decade - cannot avoid the default risk, mirrored in the spread between yields on domestic bonds and benchmark bonds such as US Treasury Bills. Alternatively, for any degree of fiscal discipline, adjustable peg or freely floating exchange rate regimes may be successful only if the passthrough from a depreciating exchange to domestic prices and wages is kept under control. Temporary and well targeted controls on short-term external capital movements, such as those successfully managed by Chile and Malaysia, may help to overcome the most acute phase of crisis adjustment. Debt- for-equity swaps and their variants such as debt- for-development or debt- for-nature swaps, involving both public and private lenders, may give an effective although quite limited support to adjustment policies in over- indebted developing countries. strategies and oligopolistic rivalry.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2002.
"Why Should Emerging Economies Give Up National Currencies?: A Case for "Institutions Substitution","
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6822, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Enrique Mendoza, 2002. "Why Should Emerging Economies Give Up National Currencies? A Case for Institutions Substitution," Research Department Publications 4309, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2002. "Why Should Emerging Economies Give up National Currencies: A Case for 'Institutions Substitution'," NBER Working Papers 8950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Edwards, Sebastian & Valdes, Rodrigo O., 2000.
"Controls on capital inflows: do they work?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Berg, Andrew & Borensztein, Eduardo & Mauro, Paolo, 2002.
"An evaluation of monetary regime options for Latin America,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 213-235, December.
- Andrew Berg & Paolo Mauro & Eduardo Borensztein, 2002. "An Evaluation of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," IMF Working Papers 02/211, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "An Evalution of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," Working Papers 67, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "An Evaluation of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 178, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999.
"Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999. "Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000.
"Capital Flows, Real Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: Some Latin American Experiences,"
in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 197-246
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Capital Flows, Real Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: Some Latin American Experiences," NBER Working Papers 6800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 1999. "Capital Flow Reversals,the Exchange Rate Debate,and Dollarization," MPRA Paper 8951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1999.
"How Effective Are Capital Controls?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 65-84, Fall.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003.
"The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 99-118, Fall.
- Guillermo Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003. "The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries," NBER Working Papers 9808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morris Goldstein, 2003. "Debt Sustainability, Brazil, and the IMF," Working Paper Series WP03-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Volatility in Latin America: A View and Three Case Studies,"
NBER Working Papers
7782, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J.Caballero, 2001. "Macroeconomic volatility in Latin America: a view and three case studies," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 28(1 Year 20), pages 5-52, June.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2000. "Macroeconomic Volatility in Latin America: A View and Three Case Studies," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6863, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 2000. "The Pros and Cons of Full Dollarization," IMF Working Papers 00/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1992. "Capital Flows, Foreign Direct Investment, and Debt-Equity Swaps in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ffrench-Davis, Ricardo, 1990. "Debt-Equity Swaps in Chile," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 109-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cri:cespri:wp157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.