Bond Ratings Matter: Evidence from the Lehman Brothers Index Rating Redefinition
The 2005 inclusion of Fitch ratings in the Lehman composite index ratings provides a quasi-natural experiment to identify rating-based market segmentation in the corporate bond market. Split-rated bonds with favorable Fitch rating that were mechanically upgraded to investment-grade status exhibit abnormal returns and order flows, whether or not they enter the Lehman investment-grade index itself. An asymmetric impact of favorable Fitch ratings on bonds around the HY-IG boundary whose index rating did not initially change suggests that mechanical changes in future index rating transition probabilities also affect bond pricing. Our results highlight the importance of rating-based industry norms and practices for market segmentation, in addition to rating-based regulation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aditya Kaul & Vikas Mehrotra & Randall Morck, 1999.
"Demand Curves for Stocks Do Slope Down: New Evidence From An Index Weights Adjustment,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1884, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Aditya Kaul & Vikas Mehrotra & Randall Morck, 2000. "Demand Curves for Stocks "Do "Slope Down: New Evidence from an Index Weights Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 893-912, 04.
- Acharya, Viral V & Schaefer, Stephen M & Zhang, Yili, 2007. "Liquidity Risk and Correlation Risk: A Clinical Study of the General Motors and Ford Downgrade of May 2005," CEPR Discussion Papers 6619, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Darren J. Kisgen & Philip E. Strahan, 2010. "Do Regulations Based on Credit Ratings Affect a Firm's Cost of Capital?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(12), pages 4324-4347, December.
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-52, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.