When two-part tariffs are not enough: Mixing with nonlinear pricing
We consider competition in nonlinear tariffs when consumers mix two goods, and ask whether simple two-part tariffs or exclusivity can arise in equilibrium. Contrary to the existing literature, this happens only when consumer types are observable. If they are unobservable, then the equilibrium tariff has decreasing marginal prices even when goods are almost homogeneous, and a third of consumers always mixes goods. Two-part tariffs will never even arise as best responses to arbitrary tariffs.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- Matutes, Carmen & Regibeau, Pierre, 1992. "Compatibility and Bundling of Complementary Goods in a Duopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 37-54, March.
- Martimort, David & Stole, Lars, 2011. "Public Contracting in Delegated Agency Games," MPRA Paper 32874, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Denicolò, Vincenzo, 2009.
"Competition with exclusive contracts and market-share discounts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Vincenzo Denicol?, 2013. "Competition with Exclusive Contracts and Market-Share Discounts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(6), pages 2384-2411, October.
- John Thanassoulis, 2006.
"Competitive Mixed Bundling and Consumer Surplus,"
Economics Series Working Papers
263, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bernard ELYAKIME & Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Patrice LOISEL & Quang VUONG, 1994.
"First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 34, pages 115-141.
- Elyakime, Bernard & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Loisel, Patrice & Vuong, Quang, 1993. "First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," IDEI Working Papers 27, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2009. "Market participation in delegated and intrinsic common-agency games," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(1), pages 78-102.
- Brian McManus, 2007. "Nonlinear pricing in an oligopoly market: the case of specialty coffee," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(2), pages 512-532, 06.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2001. "Competitive Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 579-605, Winter.
- Ivaldi, M. & Martimort, D., 1992.
"Competition Under Nonlinear Pricing,"
93.288, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Esther Gal-Or & Anthony Dukes, 2003. "Minimum Differentiation in Commercial Media Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 291-325, 09.
- repec:bla:restud:v:77:y:2010:i:1:p:30-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Armstrong, Mark, 2006. "Price discrimination," MPRA Paper 4693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anderson, S. & Neven, D.J., 1986.
"Market efficiency with combinable products,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1986045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Stole, Lars A, 2002.
"Nonlinear Pricing with Random Participation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 277-311, January.
- Chiesa, Gabriella & Denicolò, Vincenzo, 2009. "Trading with a common agent under complete information: A characterization of Nash equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 296-311, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7720. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.