The relation between competition and innovation -- Why is it such a mess?
Using a general two-stage framework, this paper gives sufficient conditions for increasing competition to have negative or positive effects on R&D-investment, respectively. Both possibilities arise in plausible situations, even if one uses relatively narrow definitions of increasing competition. The paper also shows that competition is more likely to increase the investments of leaders than those of laggards. When R&D-spillovers are strong, competition is less likely to increase investments. The paper also identifies conditions under which low initial levels of competition make a positive effects of competition on investment more likely. Extending the basic framework, the paper shows that separation of ownership and control, endogenous entry and cumulative investments make positive effects of competition on investment more likely. Imperfect upstream competition weakens the effects of competition on investment.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521816632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yongmin Chen & Marius Schwartz, 2013.
"Product Innovation Incentives: Monopoly vs. Competition,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 513-528, 09.
- Yongmin Chen and Marius Schwartz, 2009. "Product Innovation Incentives: Monopoly vs. Competition," Working Papers gueconwpa~09-09-02, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Christopher & Howitt, Peter & Vickers, John & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Competition, Imitation and Growth with Step-by-Step Innovation," Scholarly Articles 12375013, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Buehler Stefan & Schmutzler Armin, 2005.
"Asymmetric Vertical Integration,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Michael Raith, 2003. "Competition, Risk, and Managerial Incentives," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1425-1436, September.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-77, November.
- Sacco, Dario & Schmutzler, Armin, 2011. "Is there a U-shaped relation between competition and investment?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 65-73, January.
- Daniel Halbheer & Ernst Fehr & Lorenz Goette & Armin Schmutzler, 2007.
"Self-Reinforcing Market Dominance,"
SOI - Working Papers
0711, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Athey, Susan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2001. "Investment and Market Dominance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521016919 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boone, J., 2000.
2000-104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7640. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.