When Anti-Dumping Measures Lead to Increased Market Power: A Case Study of the European Salmon Market
In this paper we apply the Bresnahan-Lau (1982) model to test for market power in the European distribution of salmon. In this particular setting, the model also incorporates a test of whether dumping takes place over time. Utilising data at the import level, derived demand equations are specified rather then consumer demand. From 1997 a so-called salmon agreement that implied minimum prices, a growth ceiling and a feeding restriction program for Norwegian farmers was imposed. Here we test whether the agreement resulted in an increase in the Norwegian market power. The results suggest that Norway did not have market power prior to the salmon agreement, and we find no indication that dumping was taking place. However, the agreement led to Norwegian market power after 1997. It is interesting to note that the agreement was initiated to prevent anti dumping duty of 13% that Norwegian farmers would have to pay otherwise. The increase in mark-up from imposing the agreement is found to be in the order of 14-15%, suggesting that the Norwegian farmers saved a fee of 13% and gained a markup that was even higher.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gruben, William C. & McComb, Robert P., 2003. "Privatization, competition, and supercompetition in the Mexican commercial banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 229-249, February.
- Thomas J. Prusa, 1996.
"The Trade Effects of U.S. Antidumping Actions,"
NBER Working Papers
5440, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Asche, F., 1998.
"Testing the Effect of an Anti-Dumping Duty: the US Salmon Market,"
26/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Frank Asche, 2001. "Testing the effect of an anti-dumping duty: The US salmon market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 343-355.
- Asche, Frank, 1999. "Testing The Effect Of An Anti-Dumping Duty: The Us Salmon Market," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21714, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Considine, Timothy J., 2001. "Markup pricing in petroleum refining:: A multiproduct framework," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1499-1526, December.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1994.
"Exports, Margins and Productivity Growth: With an Application to the Canadian Softwood Lumber Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 291-301, May.
- Bernstein, J.I., 1992. "Exports, Margins and Productivity Growth: with an Application to the Canadian Softwood Lumber Industry," Working Papers 92-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mary K. Muth & Michael K. Wohlgenant, 1999. "A Test for Market Power Using Marginal Input and Output Prices With Application to the U.S. Beef Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 638-643.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets,"
27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Rosenbaum, David I. & Sukharomana, Supachat, 2001. "Oligopolistic pricing over the deterministic market demand cycle: some evidence from the US Portland cement industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 863-884, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Thomas J. Prusa, 2001. "Antidumping," NBER Working Papers 8398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kjell G. Salvanes, 1997. "Market Delineation and Demand Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 139-150.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5781. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.