EU Enlargement and Beyond: A Simulation Study on EU and CIS Integration
This Paper examines the economic effects of the opening of the former Soviet Union. The analysis carried out in the Paper is two-fold. First, we simulate the impact of the eastern enlargement of the EU, and second, we analyse how deeper integration between the EU and FSU contributes to this. The analysis is carried out with FTAP computable general equilibrium model. We find that there is a trade-off between the two roads of European integration arrangements. Eastern enlargement seems, even in its very deep form, be beneficial for all EU regions without causing substantial welfare losses outside the Union. The only regions that seem to lose somewhat are NAFTA and Japan. EU-CIS integration, on the other hand, has a different impact. To be beneficial for CIS-countries, free trade between the EU and CIS countries requires improved productivity in the latter, which may be due to better institutions or increased FDI, but still the agreement is not beneficial for large parts of the EU and the rest of the world.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "Production and Demand Models with Direct or Indirect Implicit Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 395-419, May.
- Sapir, André, 1997.
"The Political Economy of EC Regionalism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1739, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Greenaway, David & Panagariya, Arvind, 1998. "Trading Preferentially: Theory and Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1128-48, July.
- André Sapir, 2001.
"Trade regionalism in Europe: towards an integrated approach,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8144, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2000. "Trade Regionalism in Europe: Towards an Integrated Approach," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 151-162, 03.
- André Sapir, 2000. "Trade regionalism in Europe: towards an integrated approach," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8142, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.