EU Enlargement and Beyond: A Simulation Study on EU and Russia Integration
This Paper examines the economic effects of the opening of the former Soviet Union. The analysis carried out in the Paper is two-fold. First we simulate the impact of the eastern enlargement of the EU and, second, we analyse how deeper integration between the EU and Russia contributes to this. The analysis is carried out with GTAP computable general equilibrium model. We find that there is a trade-off between the two roads of European integration arrangements. Eastern enlargement seems, even in its very deep form, to be beneficial for all EU regions without causing substantial welfare losses outside the Union. EU-Russia integration, on the other hand, has a different impact. To be beneficial for Russia, free trade between the EU and Russia requires improved productivity in the latter, which may be due to better institutions or increased FDI. This might make the negotiations of the agreement cumbersome and, if agreed, its implementation difficult.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André Sapir, 2000.
"Trade Regionalism in Europe: Towards an Integrated Approach,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 151-162, 03.
- André Sapir, 2000. "Trade regionalism in Europe: towards an integrated approach," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8142, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2001. "Trade regionalism in Europe: towards an integrated approach," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8144, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- SULAMAA Pekka & WIDGRÉN Mika, .
"EU Enlargement and Beyond: A Simulation Study on EU and CIS Integration,"
- Sulamaa, Pekka & Widgrén, Mika, 2003. "EU Enlargement and Beyond: A Simulation Study on EU and CIS Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 3768, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Greenaway, David & Panagariya, Arvind, 1998. "Trading Preferentially: Theory and Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1128-48, July.
- Sapir, André, 1997.
"The Political Economy of EC Regionalism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1739, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall, 2000. "Theoretical Structure of Dynamic GTAP," GTAP Technical Papers 480, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Thomas W. Hertel & Padma Swaminathan, 1996. "Introducing Monopolistic Competition into the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 309, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Risto Vaittinen, 2000. "Eastern Enlargement of the European Union - Transition in applicant countries and evaluation of the economic prospects with a dynamic CGE-model," Research Reports 64, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Paul S. Armington, 1969. "A Theory of Demand for Products Distinguished by Place of Production (Une thÃ©orie de la demande de produits diffÃ©renciÃ©s d'aprÃ¨s leur origine) (Una teorÃa de la demanda de productos distinguiÃ©nd," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 159-178, March.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "Production and Demand Models with Direct or Indirect Implicit Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 395-419, May.
- Risto Vaittinen, 2004. "Trade Policies and Integration - Evaluations with CGE Models," Research Reports 109, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4720. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.