A Dynamic Model with Import Quota Constraints
This Paper develops a continuous-time two-sector model to study the economic effects of an import quota during the period of time over which it is imposed. One of the sectors is protected by a quota, which in our set-up manifests itself as an integral constraint on the flow of imports of the protected commodity. In sharp contrast to the existing literature, our small open economy exhibits distinctly different economic behaviour depending on whether the country is importing the protected good, exporting it or refraining from trade in it. The domestic price of the protected good exceeds the world price in import and no-trade regions, even when the quota is underutilized – in contrast, existing work predicts no economic effects of a quota unless it is binding. Within a general equilibrium world economy consisting of one quota-constrained and one unconstrained country, under logarithmic preferences, the constrained country becomes wealthier at the expense of the unconstrained. Moreover, the stock price of the protected industry increases in the quota-constrained and decreases in the unconstrained country.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Anna Pavlova & Roberto Rigobon, 2003.
"Asset Prices and Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
9834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2004. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Working papers 4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Roberto Rigobon & Anna Pavlova, 2004. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 579, Econometric Society.
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2003. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Working papers 4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Krishna, Kala & Tan, Ling Hui, 1996. "The dynamic behavior of quota license prices," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 301-321, March.
- Basak, Suleyman & Croitoru, Benjamin, 2001.
"Non-linear taxation, tax-arbitrage and equilibrium asset prices,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 347-382, April.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, . "Nonlinear Taxation, Tax Arbitrage and Equilibrium Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 7-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, . "Nonlinear Taxation, Tax Arbitrage and Equilibrium Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 07-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Eldor, Rafael & Marcus, Alan J., 1988. "Quotas as options: Valuation and equilibrium implications," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 255-274, May.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1997. "Measurement of Non-Tariff Barriers," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995.
"Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004. "Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy," Working Papers 9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Kimberly Ann Elliott, 1994. "Measuring the Costs of Protection in the United States," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 77, February.
- Uppal, Raman, 1993. " A General Equilibrium Model of International Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 529-53, June.
- Basak, Suleyman, 1995. "A General Equilibrium Model of Portfolio Insurance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1059-90.
- Anderson, James E., 1987. "Quotas as options: Optimality and quota license pricing under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 21-39, August.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & Angel Serrat, 1998. "Dynamic Equilibrium with Liquidity Constraints," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-41, CIRANO.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1991. "Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-682.
- Linkins, Linda A. & Arce, Hugh M., 2002. "Estimating Tariff Equivalents of Nontariff Barriers," Working Papers 15855, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1980. "Efficient Protection under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 716-31, September.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Cadenillas, Abel & Zapatero, Fernando, 1999. "Optimal Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 218-242, July.
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium and the Real Exchange Rate in a Spatially Separated World," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 153-80.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- repec:oup:restud:v:49:y:1982:i:2:p:291-305 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jérôme Detemple & Angel Serrat, 2003. "Dynamic Equilibrium with Liquidity Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 597-629.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 1998. "Lectures on International Trade, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522470, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3414. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.