A Dynamic Model with Import Quota Constraints
The analysis of import quotas is predominantly based on a static model, which is unable to capture the fact that a quota is imposed over a period of time. This article develops a continuous-time model that incorporates a more realistic dynamic quota constraint into the workhorse model and argues many traditional results to no longer be valid. In particular, a country may choose to refrain from trade in a quota-protected commodity even when its world price is below the domestic price and the quota is not fully exhausted. Distinct economic behavior prevails depending on whether the country is importing the protected good, exporting it or refraining from trade in it. The domestic price of the protected good exceeds the world price in import and no-trade regions, even when the quota is underutilized in contrast, the workhorse quota model predicts no economic effects of a quota unless it is binding. Additional factors underlying the quota-protected economy, the quota utilization rate to date and the time remaining till the quota horizon, are identified. Various extensions of the baseline analysis support the robustness of our main conclusions
|Date of creation:||09 Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2004.
"Asset Prices and Exchange Rates,"
4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Anna Pavlova & Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 9834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobon & Anna Pavlova, 2004. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 579, Econometric Society.
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2003. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Working papers 4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Basak, Suleyman, 1995. "A General Equilibrium Model of Portfolio Insurance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1059-90.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004.
"Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy,"
9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Kimberly Ann Elliott, 1994. "Measuring the Costs of Protection in the United States," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 77, March.
- Uppal, Raman, 1993. " A General Equilibrium Model of International Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 529-53, June.
- Anderson, James E., 1987. "Quotas as options: Optimality and quota license pricing under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 21-39, August.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium and the Real Exchange Rate in a Spatially Separated World," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 153-80.
- Krishna, Kala & Tan, Ling Hui, 1996. "The dynamic behavior of quota license prices," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 301-321, March.
- Linkins, Linda A. & Arce, Hugh M., 2002. "Estimating Tariff Equivalents of Nontariff Barriers," Working Papers 15855, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & Angel Serrat, 1998. "Dynamic Equilibrium with Liquidity Constraints," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-41, CIRANO.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1980. "Efficient Protection under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 716-31, September.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, .
"Nonlinear Taxation, Tax Arbitrage and Equilibrium Asset Prices,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
07-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Basak, Suleyman & Croitoru, Benjamin, 2001. "Non-linear taxation, tax-arbitrage and equilibrium asset prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 347-382, April.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, . "Nonlinear Taxation, Tax Arbitrage and Equilibrium Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 7-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Jérôme Detemple & Angel Serrat, 2003. "Dynamic Equilibrium with Liquidity Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 597-629.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 1998. "Lectures on International Trade, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522470, June.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1997. "Measurement of Non-Tariff Barriers," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing.
- Young, Leslie & Anderson, James E, 1982. "Risk Aversion and Optimal Trade Restrictions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 291-305, April.
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Cadenillas, Abel & Zapatero, Fernando, 1999. "Optimal Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 218-242, July.
- Eldor, Rafael & Marcus, Alan J., 1988. "Quotas as options: Valuation and equilibrium implications," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 255-274, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mit:sloanp:5419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.